• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do you think about G5 and its accessories?

Check this article out:

http://phandroid.com/2016/02/21/hands-on-lg-g5-and-accessories/

Really cool stuff coming from LG right now, you gotta love the direction things seem to be headed!

I applaud their efforts,but,at this point,the modules are quite limited in adding much value or a different/better experience.
Gotta start somewhere,I suppose,but,I've been down a similar road with the Motorola Photon & their Lapdock program.
This has all the makings of more of the same,a lot more promise than anything tangible in the present.
I'll sit this one out & take another look next year................

Upvote 0
I applaud their efforts,but,at this point,the modules are quite limited in adding much value or a different/better experience.
Gotta start somewhere,I suppose,but,I've been down a similar road with the Motorola Photon & their Lapdock program.
This has all the makings of more of the same,a lot more promise than anything tangible in the present.
I'll sit this one out & take another look next year................

^^^What he said.^^^

Reactions: Maine Coon
Upvote 0
Leaves me disappointed. Compared to my G3, it loses the rear buttons, wireless charging, and battery capacity. And it puts a smaller screen in a bigger, uglier body.

What I wanted LG to address was sound quality and volume through the speaker, but it doesn't appear that got any love at all. The modules are an interesting concept, but I doubt they will sell enough of them to recover the cost of design and manufacture.

Not going to say no, yet, but the reviews and user reports are going to have to be pretty stellar to get me to want this.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Leaves me disappointed. Compared to my G3, it loses the rear buttons, wireless charging, and battery capacity. And it puts a smaller screen in a bigger, uglier body.

What I wanted LG to address was sound quality and volume through the speaker, but it doesn't appear that got any love at all. The modules are an interesting concept, but I doubt they will sell enough of them to recover the cost of design and manufacture.

Not going to say no, yet, but the reviews and user reports are going to have to be pretty stellar to get me to want this.

Another concern regarding these modules:
Just how modular are they gonna be?
Will they be compatible with the next G phone?
I know it's way too early to talk about next year,they could scrap the whole thing if sales are flat.
Or,just by chance,if sales skyrocket,I could also see a corporate bean-counter making the bone-headed decision to go with a whole new set of modules that are incompatible from one year to the next,thinking the masses will continue to buy 'em regardless.....

Just something to consider if you upgrade every year...................

Upvote 0
Currently have LG G3 and not feeling the G5 excitement level at the same intensity as the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Don't believe I would have any use for G5 modules, anyone else feel this way?
I've had the S7 Edge since opening day & there is A LOT to like:
Nice display,although,I'm quite over the dual curved edges,believe it or not,not enough bezel (at least on the sides).
Excellent battery life/wireless charging.

With that said,despite my earlier postings regarding my mehness towards the G5,I'm seriously considering trading the S7 Edge in tomorrow:
The removable battery/I-R Blaster & most important for me,an unlockable bootloader on the T-Moblie version,being the biggest draws on the G5.

As for the modules,I'm still not feeling it,only one is compatible with the US models ATM (camera module).
I'd welcome one that adds more battery life w/o making it look like a Frankenphone. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Nope. Still use my G3.
Russian agression against Ukraine forums, bro. Ukraine is my native land.

I remember you well,but,wouldn't have thought it was from the G3 forum,as I had that phone all of six days (I was one of those that couldn't hack the "sharpening",especially with text).

I've been quite pleased with other LG displays since then (G Flex2 & V 10) & this one is no exception,I'm liking it more than I'd imagined.
Glad to see ya in the neighborhood ! :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
I remember you well,but,wouldn't have thought it was from the G3 forum,as I had that phone all of six days (I was one of those that couldn't hack the "sharpening",especially with text).

I've been quite pleased with other LG displays since then (G Flex2 & V 10) & this one is no exception,I'm liking it more than I'd imagined.
Glad to see ya in the neighborhood ! :thumbsupdroid:
Same here. Then it must be some other forum, F6 maybe?

Upvote 0
We have a winner,what a cool phone that was/is. :thumbsupdroid:
I actually gave it away,now that person is using a Windows phone,SMH......... :wtfdroid:
If I'd had known,I'd kept it,best $40 I spent on a new phone (Best Buy Deal Of The Day).

Yeah, good ol' days..
I still have both my F6.

in other news:T-Mo bootloader on G5 can be unlocked.

Upvote 0
I'd quite like the B & O DAC. Sadly though it's too expensive. They're going to have to lower the prices for this to work.

Also, as someone else mentioned. What happens next year. LG are going to have to keep the bottom of their phones the same for the foreseeable future.
I'm really quite interested in that module but cannot find it for sale?
Also, I wonder if I can use my current case with it---does it add any bulk? It appears it may be slightly larger than the stock battery module.

Edit: yeah, it does look bigger :( Crap. won't fit in my current case.
http://www.cnet.com/pictures/lg-g5-accessories-vr-360-cam-rolling-bot-mwc-roundup-pictures/4/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, I wonder if I can use my current case with it---does it add any bulk? It appears it may be slightly larger than the stock battery module.

Edit: yeah, it does look bigger :( Crap. won't fit in my current case.
http://www.cnet.com/pictures/lg-g5-accessories-vr-360-cam-rolling-bot-mwc-roundup-pictures/4/
I'd read somewhere that the B&O DAC module hasn't passed the by the FCC yet & imported versions will not work with US LG G5's.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/accessories/bo-hifi-plus-t3349898
IDK,a bit above my pay grade,but,I'd make sure if you import it,buy from someone who has a no-hassle return policy................

Upvote 0

Here's where I originally heard about the B&O DAC not being compatible with US handsets until it's granted FCC approval , FF to the 5:40 mark for the deets :
(Excellent 1st look at the unboxing of all the "Friends" & the phone,nice work if you can get it) ;) ........

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones