• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Do You Think About Sprint's "BIG" Industry First Announcement?

What do you think about Sprint's industry first announcement.

• Dual screen phone. Really? Huge let-down!

Votes: 69 69.0%
  • Indifferent. I like the device I am on.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Excited. Can;t wait to get my hands on one!

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
Well, I'm caught between a rock and sprint's stupidity.... My upgrade just became available. If I wait, I will lose it on April 1st. My Hero has turned (in the last month) into a rebooting battery killing pos. What to do? I have considered switching to Big (expensive) Red, but I'm not sure that is best. EVO? maybe. At least the devs support the hell out of HTC devices... I'm lost, and really quite mad at how Sprint totally dropped the ball this time. I know that they usually announce the newest and best at ctia, but my upgrade will be gone by then. I call Bull$hit!

Definitely get an Evo or an Evo Shift. They will most definitely get Gingerbread and probably HTC Sense 2.0, and you'll definitely not be disappointed with those phones. I had an Evo (exchanged for a Shift) and it was definitely the best phone I've ever used. I just didn't like the gigantic screen size and poorish battery life (it's gotten a lot better since it first came out) so I went with the Shift. It's essentially the same phone as the Evo, except with a 5MP camera vs 8MP, no front facing camera, a 3.6 inch screen versus 4.3 inch (not small, still bigger than the iphone) and a slide out keyboard. You'll definitely love any one of those phones, just don't get an Epic if you expect to get Froyo before June lol.

Upvote 0
ummm....major event touted by all the blogs. David Blaine. Big industry first. Yeah, no hype whatsoever :rolleyes:

It was only hyped up by people of the forums and not by Sprint. The people who are amazingly let down and disappointed are because of how much they hyped it up in their own mind. Sprint doesn't announce at CES. They announce at CTIA. In March.

Even as a proof on concept, the whole shindig was a giant waste of money in light of all the dual core goodness in the form of tablets and phones coming out of the other camps. It can't even multitask well. You can't watch a vid and email or do whatever. Now dual core to multi task on both screens would be kinda interesting, but no. It's running 2.2 so let's just give another middle finger to Epic owners. Extremely (keyword) dependent on the manufacturer for updates because it is so heavily tweaked, and it's reliant on developers to actually write it into their apps so the user gets a cohesive experience.

Upvote 0
Even on 2.1 the Epic is still a good phone. Don't hate. And I own the Shift. It sits on my nightstand after a week's use because I prefer the Epic. Nothing wrong with the Shift. Nice phone though if you want a smaller phone. It's also just a thick and heavy as the Epic too. So all you really get is the smaller footprint.
Definitely get an Evo or an Evo Shift. They will most definitely get Gingerbread and probably HTC Sense 2.0, and you'll definitely not be disappointed with those phones. I had an Evo (exchanged for a Shift) and it was definitely the best phone I've ever used. I just didn't like the gigantic screen size and poorish battery life (it's gotten a lot better since it first came out) so I went with the Shift. It's essentially the same phone as the Evo, except with a 5MP camera vs 8MP, no front facing camera, a 3.6 inch screen versus 4.3 inch (not small, still bigger than the iphone) and a slide out keyboard. You'll definitely love any one of those phones, just don't get an Epic if you expect to get Froyo before June lol.

Upvote 0
It was hyped up by the people of the forums because Sprint sent their fancy invitation (touting an industry first and the impossible being possible) to the forum admins.

I send fancy invitations for my kids birthday parties touting it will be amazingly fun. They are fun. But not earth shattering fun. Because I send a cool invite saying it will be fun and I do as it says does that mean I am very disappointing? No.

I completely disagree. If they didn't want hype, they wouldn't have announced anything... at all. Turns out it probably would have been better to just throw the phone on the shelf without saying anything about it. (IMO)

You can definitely have your own opinion and it doesn't have to match mine.

ummm....major event touted by all the blogs. David Blaine. Big industry first. Yeah, no hype whatsoever :rolleyes:

Even as a proof on concept, the whole shindig was a giant waste of money in light of all the dual core goodness in the form of tablets and phones coming out of the other camps. It can't even multitask well. You can't watch a vid and email or do whatever. Now dual core to multi task on both screens would be kinda interesting, but no. It's running 2.2 so let's just give another middle finger to Epic owners. Extremely (keyword) dependent on the manufacturer for updates because it is so heavily tweaked, and it's reliant on developers to actually write it into their apps so the user gets a cohesive experience.

They sent ivitations. The blogs and people in the forums made the hype reach the level that it did. Sprint came out with an idustry first. They did what they said they were going to do today. Will I buy the phone? No. Am I impressed with the phone? No. Am I disappointed? No. It was an industry first. It is what they said it would be. Just because I am not impressed doesn't mean much. I also am pretty good at keeping things in perspective though and know that this is not the only phone that Sprint will be announcing or releasing this year. I also know that there is a big market for things like this. This phone is one that a lot of non techy people will think is 'cool'. I will wait for something later that I would want. I know they will release something or announce something in a few months that will be.

Upvote 0
How is hiring David Blaine, calling it an "industry first", supposedly making the "impossible possible" and having nothing leaked until the day of NOT hyping it?! Do you even know the definition of the word?

Hyping; Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively

Granted, no one would have been as excited, curious or disappointed about this announcement if the Verizon iPhone wasn't just announced. Sorry but Verizon-1 Sprint-0!!!

Upvote 0
Well, I'm caught between a rock and sprint's stupidity.... My upgrade just became available. If I wait, I will lose it on April 1st. My Hero has turned (in the last month) into a rebooting battery killing pos. What to do? I have considered switching to Big (expensive) Red, but I'm not sure that is best. EVO? maybe. At least the devs support the hell out of HTC devices... I'm lost, and really quite mad at how Sprint totally dropped the ball this time. I know that they usually announce the newest and best at ctia, but my upgrade will be gone by then. I call Bull$hit!

Sorry guys, I know I'm off subject here so feel free to PM me instead of carrying on here. @330D Are you saying if you're currently eligible for an upgrade & you won't qualify after April 1 you lose your eligibility until your 2 years are up?? I also have a Hero & have the same problems. I qualified months ago for an upgrade but Sprint doesn't have anything I'm interested in but I sure don't want to lose my upgrade. This is going to bug me & Sprint's going to have a fight on their hands if this is the case. :(

Upvote 0
Sorry guys, I know I'm off subject here so feel free to PM me instead of carrying on here. @330D Are you saying if you're currently eligible for an upgrade & you won't qualify after April 1 you lose your eligibility until your 2 years are up?? I also have a Hero & have the same problems. I qualified months ago for an upgrade but Sprint doesn't have anything I'm interested in but I sure don't want to lose my upgrade. This is going to bug me & Sprint's going to have a fight on their hands if this is the case. :(

No more yearly upgrades after April 1st. I am assuming that is what he's talking about.

Upvote 0
How is hiring David Blaine, calling it an "industry first", supposedly making the "impossible possible" and having nothing leaked until the day of NOT hyping it?! Do you even know the definition of the word?

Hyping; Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively

Granted, no one would have been as excited, curious or disappointed about this announcement if the Verizon iPhone wasn't just announced. Sorry but Verizon-1 Sprint-0!!!

It is an industry first.... :rolleyes:

They hired David Blaine and said they were making the impossible possible. Marketing strategy. Last I checked that's how you do marketing in business. The hype was put on this by bloggers and us tech geeks. All sprint did was send out some invitaions with a marketing strategy on it. That is not really intense promoting or publicizing. Most of that came from bloggers and speculators.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

If you dont need unlimited texts or more than 450 peak minutes... I would do the same thing Optimus would. Roll out!

If you need more than 450 minutes to non-verizon subscribers... then I would stay with Sprint.

As it currently is with my 20% discount(on both verizon and Sprint)
Everything Data 450 = $70 - 20% = $56
Data that is not included with "Everything" = $10
Total = $66

Verizon
Talk+Text = $60-20%=$48
Unlimited Data = $30-20%=$24
Total = $72

In my area, that would give you 2-2.5X download speeds on 3G. There is no 4G where I need it.

Upvote 0
It is an industry first.... :rolleyes:

They hired David Blaine and said they were making the impossible possible. Marketing strategy. Last I checked that's how you do marketing in business. The hype was put on this by bloggers and us tech geeks. All sprint did was send out some invitaions with a marketing strategy on it. That is not really intense promoting or publicizing. Most of that came from bloggers and speculators.

What David Blaine should have done... was show the everything Data plan magically move from $69.99 to... $79.99.

Reactions: Guitardoc64
Upvote 0
Your little party and a big press conference with multiple press sources,one of the world's greatest illusionists and a byline of "industry first" isn't really an analogy that makes any sense, in my opinion. Completely different scale. And just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you're right. I have plenty of opinions, and they're not always right.

If they weren't trying to build hype, then it wouldn't have been an event talked about since CES. They wouldn't even have an event. They wouldn't have hired (arguably) the world's greatest illusionist. They'd send around a press release and post some videos and photos on their website.

Shall we compare it to HP's big webOS event on the 9th? Seems to be a very similar situation. And I'm sure they're announcement will put Sprint's to shame.

I send fancy invitations for my kids birthday parties touting it will be amazingly fun. They are fun. But not earth shattering fun. Because I send a cool invite saying it will be fun and I do as it says does that mean I am very disappointing? No.

You can definitely have your own opinion and it doesn't have to match mine.

They sent ivitations. The blogs and people in the forums made the hype reach the level that it did. Sprint came out with an idustry first. They did what they said they were going to do today. Will I buy the phone? No. Am I impressed with the phone? No. Am I disappointed? No. It was an industry first. It is what they said it would be. Just because I am not impressed doesn't mean much. I also am pretty good at keeping things in perspective though and know that this is not the only phone that Sprint will be announcing or releasing this year. I also know that there is a big market for things like this. This phone is one that a lot of non techy people will think is 'cool'. I will wait for something later that I would want. I know they will release something or announce something in a few months that will be.

Upvote 0
ok, some of you cats are pissed and let down.. the forum gets it. shows over. Sprint are patting themselves on the back over drinks tonight saying "job well done."... blogs have the phone.. photos are posted over the web. youtube has videos. everyone is talking about it... :) Sprint accomplished what they wanted... people discussing it...

lights are out. moveon.org... :rolleyes:

Reactions: MissJennell
Upvote 0
Im wondering as well. I understand that yearly upgrades are going away, but will we still get our one last upgrade if its already accumulated? or, will it automatically be pushed back?

I would think that if you were eligible for an upgrade before April 1st that couldn't take it away, but if your eligible May 1st you wouldn't get it til May 1st 2012. I could be wrong. It would suck if your upgrade were to just disappear. I for one could NOT wait 2 years for an upgrade. :)

Upvote 0
Your little party and a big press conference with multiple press sources,one of the world's greatest illusionists and a byline of "industry first" isn't really an analogy that makes any sense, in my opinion. Completely different scale. And just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you're right. I have plenty of opinions, and they're not always right.

If they weren't trying to build hype, then it wouldn't have been an event talked about since CES. They wouldn't even have an event. They wouldn't have hired (arguably) the world's greatest illusionist. They'd send around a press release and post some videos and photos on their website.

Shall we compare it to HP's big webOS event on the 9th? Seems to be a very similar situation. And I'm sure they're announcement will put Sprint's to shame.

Sprint did marketing. Bloggers and we the people did the hyping. It is what it is. I dont like the phone but know it isnt the only phone that will come out this year on sprint.

Upvote 0
Sprint did marketing. Bloggers and we the people did the hyping. It is what it is. I dont like the phone but know it isnt the only phone that will come out this year on sprint.

1) After Sprint expanded their Premium surcharge to everyone with a smartphone.
2) After Sprint took our Annual Upgrades away.
3) Then Sprint announced "Another industry First with guest David Blaine"

A lot of people were speculating something big, since Sprint just screwed us all. Verizon gets the Iphone4. We get a 3G kyocera, David blaine makes our Annual upgrades disappear, and Sprint thanks their customers with a $10 surchage to all smartphones. Whoopee!

Upvote 0
We get a 3G kyocera, David blaine makes our Annual upgrades disappear, and Sprint thanks their customers with a $10 surchage to all smartphones. Whoopee!

Sprint has a long history with getting it whole head in front of the shotgun.

Personally, it is just one of many reasons that sprint is in third place, slipping to 4th place.

They just have no perception of the market.

Upvote 0

So sending this to every Android related blog/site/etc isn't attempting to generate hype?

thumb_550_sprint-nyc-magic2.jpg

They are clearly trying to generate hype. And they absolutely failed to deliver.

Reactions: Guitardoc64
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones