• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do you think of Freemium games?

I avoid them altogether. Unfortunately, "free-to-play" games have become the mainstream on Android, which is the reason why iPhone and iPad have superior gaming ecosystem.

Living in both "ecosystems", as you call them, I can nary tell a difference between the two in terms of pricing model preference. Right now developers are releasing on iOS first, certainly, and that would be an advantage, but that's about all I could point to.

Most freemium games are of little interest to me, but there are a few that I do enjoy. For some reason, I love Stardom, which is kind of embarassing. I've thrown them $10 in purchases not because I needed to (I already had done all there was to do in the game), but because I had enjoyed it so much that I felt good giving them some cash.

I also like Coin Dozer quite a bit. I know a lot of people get frustrated by the "energy refresh" model, but if a game is good it's probably the freemium model I have the most tolerance for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones