• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do you think of the prefixes?

Do you like the prefix formatting?

• Yes, please keep this

Votes: 42 37.2%
  • No, I hate it

Votes: 54 47.8%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 17 15.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being that this is currently the only phone subforum with the prefix setting, it would seem fair to poll you guys on this topic as the staff here would like to know what everyone thinks of the prefixes. Would you be in favor of having this type of formatting in ALL the phone forums, or would some of you prefer that each subforum (Tips, Support, etc.) to be in separate areas as is the case in all the other phone forums.

This will be viewed by the AF staff and be used as an evaluation to measure what we want to do moving forward to best suit the wants and needs of our community.

Feel free to vote and voice your opinion and/or possible tweaks in this thread.

I like it a lot better than having to go to/search a separate forum for answers. I never went to the "troublshooting" or "accessories" forums because it felt like everyone was at the main general forum where all the action was. I also hated it when my question was moved to another forum. Not everyone checks all the other forums for answers or to answer the question. I believe having just one main forum with the prefixes allows those who need help to get it faster since mostly all the users are in one spot. Just my .02 cents.

Reactions: ninja_reject
Upvote 0
this is just a copy of what I posted in the Droid X section (and also in the prefix thread in the suggestions area)when a discussion about moving threads came up and the prefix thing was mentioned

FWIW, and not that my opinion really matters, but I have been frequenting the thunderbolt section because I will be getting one soon. I have noticed what you did in there with the filter prefixs in the heading. While I get the point of what you are attempting to do there I can definitly see how it could be confusing for 2 reasons

1) I think a fair number of people are actually used to seeing the subsections like they are in this Droid X section, and as we all know, if its different its confusing :D:p

2) the way to filter it is a lot like using the search button, and as we also know, A LOT of people dont use that search button enough, so I can see them not using the filter prefix part as well

just the .02 from some random guy ;)

Upvote 0
When the Tbolt section took off after release I was certain that there was a problem with the forum. I PM'ed one of the guides and they said they were trying something new.

Myself, I don't like it. If I want to check out tips or troubleshooting, you've got to wade through a lot of other stuff to find what you want. If I've got a problem, I'd rather scan through topics that are only troubleshooting without having to scan past threads for new cases or people returning their device.

To me it's like a filing system. Would it be easier to find a receipt for an auto repair if ALL your receipts were stored in a box, or if there was a subfolder for auto repairs? Just my $.02.

P.S. I understand that it's probably easier for the Admins/ Mods/ Guides, not having to move threads to the proper subforum, but for me it's a lot more time consuming.

Reactions: jj3699
Upvote 0
I like them but it does not allow me to post. It keeps asking me to choose one but there is no place to do that via the app. I can only start a new topic off the website
Unfortunately the app does not support the prefix feature yet, but rest assured they are working on it.
When the Tbolt section took off after release I was certain that there was a problem with the forum. I PM'ed one of the guides and they said they were trying something new.

Myself, I don't like it. If I want to check out tips or troubleshooting, you've got to wade through a lot of other stuff to find what you want. If I've got a problem, I'd rather scan through topics that are only troubleshooting without having to scan past threads for new cases or people returning their device.

To me it's like a filing system. Would it be easier to find a receipt for an auto repair if ALL your receipts were stored in a box, or if there was a subfolder for auto repairs? Just my $.02.

P.S. I understand that it's probably easier for the Admins/ Mods/ Guides, not having to move threads to the proper subforum, but for me it's a lot more time consuming.
In your particular case, you can use the filter at the top and pick what area you would like to view. So if you wanted to only see tips and tricks, you can change the top filter to show that.
I like subforums better. It seems less cluttered that way.

Also, on a mostly unrelated note, I can't see the first few sentences of a post anymore by hovering over the post title. It says "5: undefined" or some other gibberish text. I want that back too!

Call me a creature of habit I guess. :)
Yeah, I believe Phases is aware of this - and pretty sure he has notified the dev to fix this. There is a thread in the Suggestions forum that you can bump and explain your concern so that he is reminded of it.
Edit: For the time being, if you hover your cursor on the area around the text (like the title box), it will show you the preview. You just can't do it on the actual text itself

Keep the comments/opinions coming. I'll shoot this over to Phases when we get a good majority of the forum voicing how they feel and voting so that he can have the final say:)

Upvote 0
In your particular case, you can use the filter at the top and pick what area you would like to view. So if you wanted to only see tips and tricks, you can change the top filter to show that.

Thanks woop. I tried this a day or two after release & it still showed everything regardless of prefix, but it's working now. On a side note, at the same time I tried the search function & that was a lil haywire also, so I guess that they just needed the bugs worked out. Thanks!:)

Upvote 0
Thanks woop. I tried this a day or two after release & it still showed everything regardless of prefix, but it's working now. On a side note, at the same time I tried the search function & that was a lil haywire also, so I guess that they just needed the bugs worked out. Thanks!:)
Yeah, I remember there was a period where the Search was acting crazy haha. But it should be fine right now.

Continuing voting everyone:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones