1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What do you use NFC Tasker for?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jabrnet, May 15, 2011.

1. Jabrnet

Jabrnet Lurker

Just looking for some ideas on how to use NFC Tasker that I haven't thought of yet... Anyone have anything interesting they do with it?

The only stuff I have so far that I find useful is setting a profile for in the car and at home at night.

Also, does anyone ever have an NFC tag read as a new blank one randomly after it's been written to?

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dwd3885

dwd3885 Well-Known Member

i have yet to encounter anything with NFC to even use on my Nexus S.

3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

Can you expand a little, where do you get NFC tags to use in the car and at home?

I haven't found a single use for NFC yet

4. Funat9k

Funat9k Lurker

5. kegacide

kegacide Member

6. kegacide

kegacide Member

So I bought some tags from touchatag, and will look to create some of my own... i'll update this thread with how it goes...

my main goal is to first set one up in the car to put on the car mode, turn on bluetooth, turn up media volume, etc... then i'll play around and see what else i can think of!

7. kegacide

kegacide Member

question for you Jabrnet though, is it ok for the phone to basically sit on top of an NFC tag? will that cause it to constantly keep trying to read it and kill battery? If i put the tag right on my car dock will that cause a problem? should i put it somewhere else in my car, scan it, then put the phone in the dock?

8. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Well-Known Member

Hold your credit card up to it...if it has the blink or wifi symbol on the back.

It makes your phone beep, but does nothing else. Really useless right now and I bet once it's useful, there will be NFS.2 or something like that....

9. Wiley_11

Wiley_11 Android Enthusiast

There is an app in the Android Market called "NFC Task Launcher". You can make your own tags. As of right now the app you can do the following with the app............

The application can be used to create:
    Profile Tags
    - vCard Tags
    - Smart URL Tags
    - Text Tags
    - URI Tags (Tel, SMS, Mailto)

Task Tags currently support the following tasks
    - Enable / Disable / Toggle Wifi
    - Enable / Disable / Toggle Bluetooth
    - Launch any installed Application
    - Connect to any known SSID
    - Configure a new Wifi Connection and connect
    - Configure and enable Portable Hotspot
    - Enable / Disable Auto-sync
    - Launch any Tasker Task (for users of Tasker)
    - Changing Phone Ringtone
    - Change Notification Tone
    - Changing Ringer Mode (Normal/Silent/Vibrate)
    - Changing Ringer Volume
    - Changing Media Volume
    - Changing Alarm Volume
    - Changing Notification Volume
    - Enable / Disable Airplane mode

- Set Alarm- Create Profiles from Saved Tags

Check out devs thread at XDA Dev. :D

HERE

10. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

Just ordered some tags, looking forward to what I can do with NFC and Tasker

11. kegacide

kegacide Member

Be careful, i ordered from touchatag but still have not received anything and its been a week, i emailed them to try to get details and no one has responded... no communication at all in regard to shipping (ie tracking number, when its shipped, est arrival, etc)

i'd order from somewhere else if i could do it all over again

12. kegacide

kegacide Member

one more note about touchatag, you can not write anything to the tags, they are read only... they divert you to a link on the touchatag site where you can set up commands from there, but its pretty limited...

13. Wiley_11

Wiley_11 Android Enthusiast

Purchase NFC Tags <---- Click here for tags recommended by Dev of "NFC Task Launcher" in the Android app catalog. :D

14. kegacide

kegacide Member

yeah too bad i didn't see that note about touchatag before hand! but i ordered some new ones that are writable now that i know whats going on...

15. Sushibagel

Sushibagel Android Enthusiast

So I bought some NFC tags and have been playing around with them a bit. I was thinking isn't it pretty annoying to have to unlock the phone each time I want to scan a tag. I'm using NFC Task Launcher to write my tags and using Tasker to launch my tasks. But anyway I found the Plugin Secure Settings along the way and noticed there is a setting to toggle the NFC.

Can anyone smarter than myself figure out how to use this to our advantage to maybe set up tasker to allow us to activate our NFC with a button press (say volume +/-) while the device is still locked?

16. megadude

megadude Member

can you disable nfc permanently? it shows up in the running programs

17. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast

System Settings > Wireless & networks > More... > untick NFC - then it won't run in the background ;)

megadude likes this.
  18. megadude

megadude Member

thank you but I've already done that and Nfc service is still running in the background.

19. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast

hmm... I'd suggest a factory reset. That should resolve it. If you're not rooted you can backup all data (gmail, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, etc.) to your gmail account and your apps I'd use My Backup from the market (free version). If after that you still have that issue then I'd suggest either a warrranty repair or replacement from Samsung. Good luck.

Nexus S Forum

The Nexus S release date was December 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

December 2010
Release Date
Reviews