1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General What do you use to clean your screen?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lik1, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Lik1

None

Jun 20, 2011
    Even the screen protector gets greasy from handling phone. I used LCD screen cleaner and this makes the screen protector kinda rubbery. What do you use to clean the grease off your screen? Ya know smudges, oils in your skin. Water? Or you just leave it alone?

Advertisement

2. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    i use nothing more than my shirt. the plane jane Hanes white undershirts work the best for this. not sure why, but they do. i wouldn't use anything on the screen itself, as liquids and electronics dont mix, and there may be something in your cleaner that messes with the screen protector.

either way, use your shirt.

3. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    I use my shirt or a microfiber cloth I keep handy for my glasses.

4. nateap87

nateap87 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    California
    I have a screen protector so I just use my pants

5. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    Microfiber or 100% cotton.

Sometimes a cotton ball with a very tiny amout of windex. I keep the case on for that and stay away from the edges.

6. Tamasabian

Tamasabian Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    US/Ohio
    I love to use Windex Electronics cleaner. It's worked for my plasma TV and my laptop's LCD screen. Just be sure that you spray your paper towel or lint-free cloth with the Windex then wipe. DO NOT spray your phone or other electronics directly.

7. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    The blood of a unicorn. Or a T-shirt. Preferably the thong of a 23 yr old bombshell.

8. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    If I'm out of sandpaper, I just use my shirt.

9. SeekerOfTheWay

SeekerOfTheWay Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Bealls
    Florida
    Yellow microfiber cloth.

10. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Yewwtah!
    I have a Steinheil screen protector, AWESOME! Anyways, I just breathe on mine a little bit to steam it up and then use my shirt. Unless its really dirty from working in the shop, then I will use a moist paper towel to clean the majority of it and then finish it off with my shirt.

I also keep a yellow microfiber cloth in my lunchbox but I used that mostly for my iPhone with no screen protector applied.

GMB

11. snsjets

snsjets Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Mild soap, warm water (in the cloth), microfiber gets my screen crystal clear every time.

12. Nor*Cal

Nor*Cal Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Bay Area
  13. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    just a good ol tshirt

14. GrandMasterB

None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Yewwtah!
    crazygy likes this.
  15. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I usually use a microfiber cloth, but I've misplaced all of mine so I just use my shirt now.

16. Wanderlusterer

None

Apr 6, 2011
    Isopropyl alcohol, 91% and a clean, plain paper towel. Use the alcohol on the paper towel first and then apply it to the phone and use a dry spot of the towel to completely dry the phone. A bottle of the alcohol can last you a long, long time and the paper towels can too if you do it right.

Don't use tissue paper, it'll only make a mess...

17. Coogi

Coogi Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Wireless Consultant
    New Prague, MN
    Gadget cleaner from Zagg, was $10 at Target, and came with a cloth, works great for glasses also!

18. rich_r

rich_r Member
    None

Nov 13, 2009
  19. jhimebau

jhimebau Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Walgreen glass wipes once in the morning and a micro-fiber cloth the rest of the day.

20. _mw_

_mw_ Android Enthusiast
    None

I have;

- A microfiber cloth for my monitors and the TV, which has been used on occasion
    - A small collection of the lint-free cloths that come with screen protectors. If I'm at my desk, I use those.
    - My shirt.

It's funny that I go out of my way to save special cloths for cleaning my screen, but I have absolutely no issue with running my shirt over it when I'm out and about. I must only suffer from OCD when in the sitting position.

21. Shel

Shel Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 21, 2008
    Slightly off topic, but...

I was going nuts, with how fast and easy my Thunderbolt's screen would show smudges and fingerprints, and it would look awful.

I first tried a screen protector from Verizon, partially to protect the screen, but even more because I was sick of wiping my screen every five minutes.

FAIL.

Then, a few weeks later, I broke down and purchased Steinheil's Ultra Oleophobic screen protectors... supposed to be "oil resistant"...

FAIL.

While the Steinheil (and Verizon's brand, for that matter) looked great, covered the entire screen and protected against scratches, I was CONSTANTLY wiping my screen! EVERY fingerprint showed up.

Two days ago, I broke down and purchased my 3rd screen protector from Best Buy... Zagg's Thunderbolt protector.

WOW! :D

LOVE IT!

Really hides fingerprints, and if some do show up, a quick wipe with my shirt, a tissue, whatever, and it's clean and fingerprint free!

At an angle, you do see orange peel texture... but viewing the phone straight on, it's beautiful and doesn't diminish the visibility at all!

Can't recommend the Zagg highly enough! (Save some money and order online, or if you need instant gratification, Best Buy carries 'em)

22. GrandMasterB

None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Yewwtah!
    I have 2 questions for you.

1) I first tried the Verizon screen protectors myself (mostly because they were included in the power and protection package I purchased) they did not cover my entire screen. They came up short at the bottom not covering the capacitive buttons. Are you saying your Verizon ones covered the entire screen top to bottom like the Steinheil ones do?

2) The main reason I couldn't use the Zagg protectors when I tried them in the past is because they feel rubbery and cause significant drag when sliding your finger on the screen. Do you notice the same thing?

GMB

23. Shel

Shel Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 21, 2008
    Honestly, I don't remember for sure if the Verizon screen protectors covered the entire screen or not. I purchased my TB, figuring I was going to Dallas for 10 days, and I'd have it for the trip and return it, if I didn't love it, or keep it. Figured the 10 day trip to Dallas was a good test, and it'd be fun to play with a new phone on the airplane ride. Ended up loving the TB.

I purchased the Verizon screen protector in Dallas, mostly to protect against scratches. Didn't want to scratch up the screen.

After using it for a few days/ a week, I began to HATE all of the smudges.

Steinheil DEFINITELY covered the entire screen, including home/back/menu/find buttons, as does the Zagg.

Nope. It doesn't feel rubbery to me at all, but I have heard other's voice the same complaint.

However, many of them have said that after a few days or a week, the rubbery feeling goes away. Again, it doesn't feel rubbery, or make it more difficult in any way to swipe or tap on the screen.

By the way... Best Buy offers a FULL refund, for 30 days, if you're unhappy for any reason! If you're on the fence, and there's a Best Buy near you, I'd highly recommend trying the Zagg out without risk.

It's really eliminated the one major issue I've had with my Thunderbolt!

(Battery life WAS an issue, I now use Green Power and easily make it a full day, and generally just charge it when I'm in my car)

GrandMasterB likes this.
  24. Picaso86

Picaso86 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    New Jersey
    [/QUOTE]Nope. It doesn't feel rubbery to me at all, but I have heard other's voice the same complaint.

However, many of them have said that after a few days or a week, the rubbery feeling goes away. Again, it doesn't feel rubbery, or make it more difficult in any way to swipe or tap on the screen.

By the way... Best Buy offers a FULL refund, for 30 days, if you're unhappy for any reason! If you're on the fence, and there's a Best Buy near you, I'd highly recommend trying the Zagg out without risk.

It's really eliminated the one major issue I've had with my Thunderbolt!

(Battery life WAS an issue, I now use Green Power and easily make it a full day, and generally just charge it when I'm in my car)[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info... Im gonna buy Zagg

25. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    Sorry, I'll send her back home when I'm done