• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what does G mean?

m4r10

Aug 15, 2010
Sometimes my Vibrant indicates 3G and whenever I seem to be indoors it shows E for edge. Once in a while it just shows "G". What does that mean? is it somewhere between edge and 3G? I've come to accept that T-mobile coverage stinks(coming from Verizon).

it always seems to go down to edge whenever I go indoors even in a strong 3G coverage area. Is that aT-mobile thing or more the phone?
And also the other day I was at a yankee game showing full 3G and I couldn't even load a youtube video. My friend sitting next to me on his iphone loaded it up pretty quick in high quality.

Upvote 0
it always seems to go down to edge whenever I go indoors even in a strong 3G coverage area. Is that aT-mobile thing or more the phone?
And also the other day I was at a yankee game showing full 3G and I couldn't even load a youtube video. My friend sitting next to me on his iphone loaded it up pretty quick in high quality.

I've not had the problem of a signal dropping that much when entering a building (I'm in the "greater" Los Angeles area). It's likely the T-Mobile network in your area, perhaps to some extent the construction of the buildings you're in.

I can't say anything about YouTube videos, as I've never used my phone to watch one. The iPhone, of course, is on AT&T, and from what I understand AT&T has done some serious upgrading of their system in NYC.

Upvote 0
The Vibrant is a great handset. Too bad it seems to be limited by the network it's on.

I agree. But, things are looking up.

I don't know if you all have been following it or not but tMo's "4G", HSPA+ is rolling out pretty quickly. It's more of a "3.5G" technology in some ways since it relies on the current 3G hardware, unlike Sprint's wimax technology, but this makes it much easier and faster to roll out.

On a recent trip, I read that Palm Springs got the new HSPA+ rolled out so I ran some tests using the SpeedTest.net Android app. I was getting around a meg down on traditional 3g in denver and nearly three times that on the new technology in Palm Springs.

I'm hoping that tMo's plan of covering another 100 million people by the end of 2010 comes to fruition. I live in the desert paradise that is 29 Palms CA and 3g reaches up until about half an hour away so I'm hoping it spreads a bit more so I can get in on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones