• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What does Gmail sync do exactly?

frusciante54

Oct 7, 2016
I know what Sync does in general. It pulls data from your device and store it on servers. Like your contacts for instance.
But there is one thing that doesn't make sense to me. What is the use of Gmail Sync in the app? What does it do exactly? And there is a section to choose the days to Sync.
Is it something like storing the mails offline so you can read them without an internet connection? For example, if I choose 2 days of syncing, would Gmail save the mails from the last 2 days as offline?
Or is it something else?
Thank you.

I know what Sync does in general. It pulls data from your device and store it on servers. Like your contacts for instance.
But there is one thing that doesn't make sense to me. What is the use of Gmail Sync in the app? What does it do exactly? And there is a section to choose the days to Sync.
Is it something like storing the mails offline so you can read them without an internet connection? For example, if I choose 2 days of syncing, would Gmail save the mails from the last 2 days as offline?
Or is it something else?
Thank you.

Hi, the following is an extract from Gmail help pages :-
"Sync Gmail: When this setting is on, you'll get notifications and new emails automatically. When this setting is off, you have to pull down from the top of your inbox to refresh.
Days of mail to sync: Choose the number of days of mail that you want to automatically sync and store on your device. Any messages that aren't synced won't be available offline."

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones