• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What does ROOTED mean?

There are a lot of apps that require root to work. The two most important in my opinion is Apps2SD which allows you to install apps to your SD card and run them from there. And wifi tether. Right now neither work.

if you horribly mess up your phone, flash it back to stock. flashing back to the stock image has fixed the worst bricking we've seen so far.

Upvote 0
There are a lot of apps that require root to work. The two most important in my opinion is Apps2SD which allows you to install apps to your SD card and run them from there. And wifi tether. Right now neither work.

if you horribly mess up your phone, flash it back to stock. flashing back to the stock image has fixed the worst bricking we've seen so far.

Sounds like rooting is a rather complicated process, though a rather useful one. I know very little about linux so would probably do more damage than anything else!

Upvote 0
Rooting goes by many names (on iPhone it is called JailBreaking... On blackberry it is known as.. well there is no lock on blackberry and you can install hybrids right over stock with no hacking.. RIM's own apploader is all you need to do it)... Basically just allows you to access system files and resources usually locked out.. Only way you can mess up your phone so bad that you can't unbrick it would be if you messed up its ability to even boot into a recovery mode or flash mode (those are usually on independent chips that are activated by a key combination and they are usually nonwriteable)..

Upvote 0
if you don't know much about Linux, right now there isn't a very good reason to root your phone unfortunately. most of the apps people want to use don't work and the only thing I've done with root is remove some of the sprint apps.

Basically if you want to ROOT you have the wrong phone.. Switch to an HTC since they have a huge rooting group dedicated to those devices... Removing the sprint apps is very tempting but i dont think i will root until a donut or eclair rom is avalible... How much memory you getting without the sprint apps?

Upvote 0
Numus, I deleted some of the Sprint apps (Weather Channel, NASCAR, NFL, IM and Bejeweled demo).

Can't say that I've seen a memory "increase" per se (Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage) but I have seen fewer background applicatons starting without my permission and taking up valuable resources.

Additionally, my phone seems to have a bit more zip without those applications running in the background as well.

Upvote 0
Numus, I deleted some of the Sprint apps (Weather Channel, NASCAR, NFL, IM and Bejeweled demo).

Can't say that I've seen a memory "increase" per se (Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage) but I have seen fewer background applicatons starting without my permission and taking up valuable resources.

Additionally, my phone seems to have a bit more zip without those applications running in the background as well.
Finally rooted mine last night and removed all the preloaded stuff (didn't get the widgets it seems.. have to reread where those are located)... I didn't do the persistant root just the temporary root access since i dont like the persistant method yet.. waiting for somethign like the droid root to be developed (will have to wait for first update for the phone to exploit the code)

Upvote 0
if you don't know much about Linux, right now there isn't a very good reason to root your phone unfortunately. most of the apps people want to use don't work and the only thing I've done with root is remove some of the sprint apps.

Why don't most of the apps work? Are you saying the apps I bought on Google Play will lose their functionality? Quite a price.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones