• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what does the Satellite mean when it appear in top task bar

It means an app is using gps. Good luck getting it to do anything but drain your battery though. The gps in the Moment is total crap at this point.

I'd have to disagree. The AGPS features certainly seem useless, but the satellite based GPS seems to work just fine for most people. There might be a bad batch of phones out there causing grief with regular gps, but most people seem to be reporting it working fine.

Upvote 0
Mine worked perfectly for the first 2 weeks. Then it suddenly started showing me to be somewhere near Russia (I am in Virginia)

Now it wont find me at all . Ive tried everything to fix it .

From the home screen, menu -> settings -> security & location
uncheck "Use wireless networks"
check "Enable GPS Satellites"

The first checkbox is for AGPS, I haven't heard of anyone who has gotten this to work. It seems to show your location as anywhere in the world except the United States.

The second checkbox enables regular GPS. If this isn't working for you (try pulling up google maps, then menu -> my location) then you may have a hardware issue. Since you're using satellites, make sure you're outside with a good view of the sky when you try this.

Upvote 0
HOLY CRAP! Stop thinking Use Wireless Network is AGPS... The A standands for ASSISTED! It has nothing to do with Using the Wireless Network to find yoru location except to give correction data (for atmostpheric ionization and other factors) and a list of where GPS satallites currently are to attempt to speed up GPS aquistition...

To spell it out
The first checkbox (Use Wireless Network) utilizes the CDMA Radio (the thing that is broken in 1.5 because teh damn OS was ment for GSM)
The second checkbox (Enable GPS Satellites) means utilize the aGPS reciever

The GPS(aGPS) works perfect in the phone... Just go outside!

Upvote 0
Have any of you looked over the GPS thread? It has some good tips for getting GPS to work, I have used the power down with gps and wireless unchecked then take out battery then put back together and power up, recheck the two (gps and wireless networks) and have had awesome results. Used to be I could never get a lock, using this method, when I need gps I always get a lock quickly.

Upvote 0
HOLY CRAP! Stop thinking Use Wireless Network is AGPS... The A standands for ASSISTED! It has nothing to do with Using the Wireless Network to find yoru location except to give correction data (for atmostpheric ionization and other factors) and a list of where GPS satallites currently are to attempt to speed up GPS aquistition...

To spell it out
The first checkbox (Use Wireless Network) utilizes the CDMA Radio (the thing that is broken in 1.5 because teh damn OS was ment for GSM)
The second checkbox (Enable GPS Satellites) means utilize the aGPS reciever

The GPS(aGPS) works perfect in the phone... Just go outside!

Thanks for your input on gps and agps. But mine doesnt work outside or in. Glad you are lucky and got one that works but dont assume everyone is so lucky.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input on gps and agps. But mine doesnt work outside or in. Glad you are lucky and got one that works but dont assume everyone is so lucky.
Then you got a bad chip.. i would estimate 10-15% of all devices manufacturered are done so with badchips that get through the QA process...
GPS vs. aGPS: A Quick Tutorial | WMExperts
They had a really good tutorial on the aGPS system..
http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/cellulartelecomms/location_services/assisted_gps.php

Upvote 0
Pulled it out of my ass... No seriously.. i really did... It isn't based on anything more then a gross estimation based upon current practices and standards in tawain and other nations that develop our equipment

lol I appreciate your honesty! I too sometimes pull estimates like that out of my ass, but I've been trying to be careful about it... since that's how misinformation gets started. You and I may know it's just an estimate based on intuition, but then others run with it and repeat it... etc. Thanks for being upfront :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones