• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what does this option do?

jaliy

Android Expert
Aug 7, 2011
i just finished downloading a software update on s4 and this screen shows:
s4-update.jpg

what exactly does scheduled software update do? does it automatically install updates without telling me?

so if i check that option, will i be able to uncheck it later?
i can't find any setting to change it back

I don't see why not. Like I said, I don't do OTA updates but I would surmise you could manually check for the update and have the option to check/uncheck the box.

Just leave the box checked, it won't hurt anything.

Upvote 0
i think, but i'm not sure on a s4, but you can uncheck for software update checks in the settings/about phone/ software/ there should be a box to check or uncheck software updates....not sure if this is what you want or not.
that will enable checking for update, not installing it
if i enable auto installing, how do i disable it

Upvote 0
that will enable checking for update, not installing it
if i enable auto installing, how do i disable it

well the best way is to just manually check for updates and then installing it later. not sure there is an option to stop auto installing other then the one you posted where you can select "later" to install the update at a later time.

i never have my phone to always check for updates. i can manually check them when i have know one is out for my phone.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
well the best way is to just manually check for updates and then installing it later. not sure there is an option to stop auto installing other then the one you posted where you can select "later" to install the update at a later time.

i never have my phone to always check for updates. i can manually check them when i have know one is out for my phone.
can i go into applications-software update and clear cache and data?
would that work

Upvote 0
can i go into applications-software update and clear cache and data?
would that work

not sure what that will accomplish. it will probably erase the download, but i'm not sure as i do not have this option on my phone.

so what exactly are you trying to do? just have it so that if and when there is an update, you want it to download, but not install it?

Upvote 0
not sure what that will accomplish. it will probably erase the download, but i'm not sure as i do not have this option on my phone.

so what exactly are you trying to do? just have it so that if and when there is an update, you want it to download, but not install it?
yes that's exactly what i want to do
download the update automatically like it should, but ask me if i want to install
if i check that box it would install automatically

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones