1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What DON'T you like about Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bigbadwulff, Jun 3, 2011.

1. jacknginger

jacknginger Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Previously under settings-battery, you got a nice battery icon showing the available charge and when you clicked on it, you got a break down of the usage. This seems to be gone with gingerbread.

Advertisement

2. dyno

dyno Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    The keyboard absolutely sucks, especially when you want to insert a comma or exclamation point. Before you would hold on the period then click on what you wanted. Now you have to hold and "slide" to it, but it is terribly inaccurate. The only fix is to switch to the ?123 keyboard to get symbols.

The only thing I like is the animation when switching between portrait and landscape.

3. Grnsl2

Grnsl2 Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Love it, agree! Glad someone else noticed.

4. Humbaba

Humbaba Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Hello,

Recent forum lurker, first-time poster.

Just did a manual update of my Droid X to Gingerbread.

First surprise was the blue theme to everything. Any fan of Futurama knows that Gray is the neutral color. Blue is decidedly...biased. Forcing blue on the population seemed rather odd.

The keyboard...something about it. The buttons are a tad smaller? I'm not sure but I find myself making many more mistakes than I did when I first started using the 2.2 keyboard.

The app tray button. I like the idea of having four permanent slots on a dock that maintains it's position through the different home screens. I don't like that the app tray button is treated as just another icon. I guess it's really aesthetics, but I really liked the centered arrow button. The four permanent slots makes it looks, somehow, much less droid-ish. Reminds me of an old PDA somehow.

Something small, the default date/time widget no longer adjusts to three wide by one high (which was how I had it previously). Pretty strange considering it's seemingly the exact same widget.

I'm not sure if I like the fact that there are multiple steps to adding an app to the homepage.

Previously, when you slide the home page left and right, a small 'house' symbol with two dots on either side would pop up, allowing you to very quickly choose a page. That...gone. Now just five small slivers at the bottom indicating which page you're on. (Sorry if page and home page are incorrect terminology). I really liked that, now it's gone.

There is definitely a lack of...smooth/flowing/artsy design to the new UI. Too...something. Illustrated by the look of the keyboard.
    --Looking at the Battery Usage chart, the very top looks like it's some half-done bit of design, stuff missing. After looking at it forever I think I've determined that it's a usage line graph with an ultra-thin blue activity bar graph below it. I tap on it and voila, more ugly, almost label-less charts...which I can't actually see a use for besides mundane curiosity.
    Less flow than before, more...simplistic grid.

Someone earlier said the complaints were an example of the old Lincoln saying: "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."

Pretty much.

But considering that Droid's catchphrase "Droid does...," implying that Droid does...a lot, it's strange that such simple UI bits such as color and layout aren't open to easy manipulation. For something that costs so many hundreds of dollars and is billed as such a gob-smacking piece of work (which it is for the most part)...

"You can have any color you want...as long as it's black."

Amaroth likes this.
  5. Amaroth

Amaroth Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Hilo, HI
    I do not like how you can't close windows in the browser anymore. Maybe its just me but when I click the red minus symbol, it just takes me to that page.
    The new keyboard keeps auto filling random words with 2 words put together with no space..
    Don't like the steps it takes to add an icon to the homescreen.
    And I hate hate HATE that a load of apps I have are now incompatible with my phone. I use poweramp more than anything and now when i use it it always reboots my phone which leads me tothat my next gripe..
    The time it takes to boot the phone is excruciatingly long. Although I noticed that the phone is a little more responsive as soon as the lock screen comes on compared to before...

6. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    Male
    FedEx... yea, those guys
    Nashville, TN
    Make sure when you get a FC you are Sending a Report and not just FC. This lets the developer know there is a problem. I also add the note - Droid X 2.3.3 - even thou that info is already in the report.

7. micro9x

micro9x Lurker
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    Am I the only one having bluetooth issues? Since the OTA Gingerbread update, my bluetooth connection to my car resets about 4 times per hour. Previous to the update, I think it happened twice in the last 6 months.

8. C.C.W.

C.C.W. Member
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Investigator
    When dialing from the bluetooth feature on my 7" JVC touchscreen head unit, once I select the contact or dial the number (JVC unit accesses my phonebook), I have to hit send 3 or 4 times to get the number to dial. Never happened in Froyo.

9. iron_city

iron_city Member
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    What kind of car? I have a 2011 Fusion with the regular SYNC system, and the update has resulted in *less* BT disconnects.

10. micro9x

micro9x Lurker
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    I have a 2010 Mazda 3. Had practically no issues on Froyo. Now it is almost unusable.

11. drhill

drhill Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    My skip/previous song buttons don't work anymore on my cars' remote. They have yet to work in my car since the update and they worked once in my wife's car (but not since that first try).

Edit: Sorry, should have mentioned I have no disconnect problems.

12. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    That's something I really like, never was a fan of the light gray status bar, always kept it hidden. Can't make everyone happy.

13. TexasAg03

TexasAg03 Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer
    Denison, Texas
    Rooted 596.

14. TexasAg03

TexasAg03 Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer
    Denison, Texas
    The problems with the compass being backward and the camera not saving your resolution setting aren't things I don't like - they're things that don't work correctly. There's a difference.

15. NickNas

NickNas Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Male
    Geek
    So Cal USA
    I Loved this phone 110% I LOVED Gingerbread 110% That was until I had to use the only feature I depend on 20 to 30 times a day. I am in the field all day running my business and I have two lines that email me all messages in .wav file format. This was the CLOSER on this phone ( Droid X )

SO Some developers decided to just completely eliminate that capability because they don't like the format? they say they are tool large and now want only MP3??

I went to get a recommended app to replace it and THEIR new change is ... NO LONGER SUPPORTS EMAILS.

Does anyone know how this can be beaten?? I have to leave for a full day and now I will have to dial in 20 times a day to check VMs

Thanx for any help in advance.

16. gkperformance

gkperformance Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2011
    So am I the only one having internet lag/slowness since update. What would cause that, it was fine before now it loads a page about 1/4 of the way and sits there forever to finish? Otherwise I can get used to the rest, I think:)

17. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Try this:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.toremote.audio.freeplayer

I used this back on 2.1 when Android could pretty much not play any files recorded by voice mail systems. Still works for me on 2.3,

18. NickNas

NickNas Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Male
    Geek
    So Cal USA

THANX Lex.. right before I saw this I got Remote wav and it works too! It is Total BS that an " UPGRADE" Take AWAY a perfectly useful tool like that.. without it this starts turning back onto a TOY and not a useful business tool too.

19. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    welcome!...hope you stick around!

well if we didn't have blur everything would be black and green...so pick your poison...personally i think the blue beats the crap out of black and green

The keyboard...something about it. The buttons are a tad smaller? I'm not sure but I find myself making many more mistakes than I did when I first started using the 2.2 keyboard.

the dock is a built in feature of Android....so not having one would actually be less "droid-ish"

well they needed a way to try and incorporate the new "groups" feature of the app drawer to organize apps...

touch the dock and slide your finger up the screen...BAM!

or...when you're on the main home page just click the home button...

yeah the feature you miss is gone...but it was replaced with something much better!

i agree about the battery usage...but i think the rest of the UI is a whole universe better than Froyo...

no, they didn't say that at all...they said "please" instead of "fool"

i think this is a COMPLETELY unfair criticizm to put on Moto and the DX...this is not a feature built into Android, and is not available on 99% of Android phones...i know the Thunderbolt has a "theme" option...do the other new HTC phones as well??...

absolutely...

1 minute is a long time??...thats roughly how long it takes my phone to boot...if you are seeing much longer times than that...something is wrong...

20. Amaroth

Amaroth Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Hilo, HI
    Its only a long time cuz I use poweramp when im at the gym.. and since the gb update poweramp keeps rebooting or locking up my phone. When im running I really don't want to stop to pull out my battery and I really hate it when I have earphones in my head that aren't playing any music because my damn phone is taking forever to boot up.

21. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010

Why not try a different music player?...its a problem with poweramp...email the developer with your problems...

There are plenty of music players out there that are working just fine...

22. Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    i agree with things like menu colour and dialer ui. those are a matter of personal preference.

but things like led notifications not working, launcher led issues compass problems and other various things that do not work properly since GB. no its not a matter of pleasing the masses.. its a lack of proper testing on Moto's part to ensure the update works and doesnt create more problems than its trying to fix.

bubbaken likes this.
  23. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    absolutely...but these also should be treated as what they are...bugs...that will hopefully be fixed with an update like all the Froyo bugs that were fixed with updates..

24. esemes

esemes Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    graphics
    clrwtr
    it still exists.....!!!

but.....only when to tell you you're running low on battery though.

Kinda a slap in the face, IMO.

SMS

jacknginger likes this.
  25. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    Male
    FedEx... yea, those guys
    Nashville, TN

I have to retract my HATE of the battery life with GB. I let the phone discharge to dead, recharged overnight. Took the phone of the charger at 5:00am. At 11:00 I still had 100%, at 5:00pm it just changed from 90 to 80%. I don't use my phone much while I'm working, but that's the best standby I've gotten with any smartphone.

I still HATE the bright backlight, but I'm using AjgBrightness to keep them turned off until hopefully Moto send out a patch (or someone here fixes it first)!