• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What DON'T you like about Gingerbread

I Loved this phone 110% I LOVED Gingerbread 110% That was until I had to use the only feature I depend on 20 to 30 times a day. I am in the field all day running my business and I have two lines that email me all messages in .wav file format. This was the CLOSER on this phone ( Droid X )
Does anyone know how this can be beaten?? I have to leave for a full day and now I will have to dial in 20 times a day to check VMs

Have you tried Google voice?

I have my home phone set up to forward to my Google Voice number after 20 seconds.
Google Voice answers the call with the message I set up on my GV number.
The person leaves a message and hangs up.

I have the Google Voice app on my Droid X.
When someone leaves a message, the GV icon appears on my notification bar.
When I open the GV app from the bar, I can read the transcript of the call (still hit or miss with GV) or I can press the play button at the bottom of the screen and play the message via earpiece or speakerphone.

doit2it-albums-stuff-picture3663-google-voice-app.jpg

There's always options!

Reactions: NickNas
Upvote 0
HATE:
* HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE battery life. Same settings as Froyo, so no idea what could have caused this???
* Add new Calendar event - default is to save it to the Phone Calendar. I wouldn't have any issues with this, except, YOU CAN'T SYNC THIS TO THE GMAIL CALENDAR!!! :mad:
* Add new contact - must select Google or Backup Asst. Why?!?!?!?
* Bright ass backlights on hard buttons (I'm no engineer, but could that be the cause of crappy battery life people are mentioning?)
* Inconsistent LED action
* Inconsistent email delivery (reset helped-such a PITA)

Upvote 0
@mahers,
When I add a calendar event it defaults to my Google calendar.

I think it's rather shocking that none of these issues were addressed between the leaks and final. What were all of those test builds for then? People were thinking it was an easy waY for them to beta test. Clearly they didn't read any user feedback from that period though. If they did, they'd have seen 100% against the bright lights and would have fixed it. They would have seen that the camera doesn't save the resolution and so on.

Upvote 0
While I appreciate you speaking for me...I disagree with your opinion...they don't bother me...frankly I don't even remember how bright/unbright Froyo's lights were...
Fair enough, but I'll put it this way then. I don't think there's anyone who would have been opposed to setting the light brightness back to the way it was on Froyo.

Either way, there were lots of these types of things brought up during the leaks. Motorola didn't fix any of the major ones. You'd have thought they would have a person looking at forums like this and getting great feedback, but no.

In fact, when I reported the camera resolution bug on the motorola forum (after GB went final), the forum host (motorola employee) had never heard about the issue. Still trying to convince him it's a bug, not a feature.

Upvote 0
I'll throw a few in here. Perhaps some have a fix already.

1. The bright hard button lights. At night, this is a real nuisance.

2. When I leave it idle for a while, the Wifi shuts off. I have tried all different power settings, but I cannot fix it. It disrupts my Sirius/XM app during the night. Other times, I will wake up the phone and I get 3 emails at once when data is re-established. Any suggestions there?

3. I now whiff on pulling down the notification bar 50% of the time. Minor.

Everything else seems fine to me though. Battery life is the same or better for me. Apps work fine.

Upvote 0
2. When I leave it idle for a while, the Wifi shuts off. I have tried all different power settings, but I cannot fix it. It disrupts my Sirius/XM app during the night. Other times, I will wake up the phone and I get 3 emails at once when data is re-established. Any suggestions there?
What do you mean by "shuts off"? Do have wifi sleep policy set to never in advanced wifi settings?

If so and if the wifi icon is still there, just you have no data passing, you might want to look at my thread here.

It's possible it's the same issue (which I think I've come up with a successful workaround for):
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/349727-gingerbread-wifi-dropping-occasionally.html

Reactions: Ed5275
Upvote 0
Well I tried uninstalling all apps, a factory reset/wipe, reinstalling apps, and the battery life is still AWFUL. My extended battery is draining so fast compared to Froyo.

Batter says the phone idle and display are taking all the battery power, yet I have the most conservative settings (screen brightness basically all the way to the left and screen off at 15 seconds).

Very frustrating...

Upvote 0
In fact, when I reported the camera resolution bug on the motorola forum (after GB went final), the forum host (motorola employee) had never heard about the issue. Still trying to convince him it's a bug, not a feature.

why would he have heard about it?...he just runs a forum...

[/QUOTE]

your wifi sleep policy is probably set to turn off after 15 minutes with no activity of the phone (screen off)...your background data probably turns off as well so email doesn't sync...and then it syncs once you wake up the phone...

Well I tried uninstalling all apps, a factory reset/wipe, reinstalling apps, and the battery life is still AWFUL. My extended battery is draining so fast compared to Froyo.

Batter says the phone idle and display are taking all the battery power, yet I have the most conservative settings (screen brightness basically all the way to the left and screen off at 15 seconds).

Very frustrating...

i wish they never removed the "battery history" menu from Gingerbread...it made tracking down these problems much easier..

Upvote 0
Another thing I don't like is the preset voicemail number can't be changed. You can add another one to it that will allow you to enter pauses and your password, but the voicemail notification only dials *86, you cannot edit that to enter your password.

As far as the bright lights, the post I made about editing the build.prop file does work. It doesn't turn down the brightness, it makes the lights go out after about 20-30 seconds. They don't come on again unless the light sensor registers darkness or the phone goes to sleep.

Of course you have to have root to edit that file.

Upvote 0
Another thing I don't like is the preset voicemail number can't be changed. You can add another one to it that will allow you to enter pauses and your password, but the voicemail notification only dials *86, you cannot edit that to enter your password.

My voice mail setting allows the password. It's set to *86,,9876#

Settings > Call Settings > Voicemail Settings > Voicemail number dialog > Enter number string...

Reactions: pool_shark
Upvote 0
What do you mean by "shuts off"? Do have wifi sleep policy set to never in advanced wifi settings?

If so and if the wifi icon is still there, just you have no data passing, you might want to look at my thread here.

It's possible it's the same issue (which I think I've come up with a successful workaround for):
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/349727-gingerbread-wifi-dropping-occasionally.html

Advanced settings fixed it. Thanks so much. I knew I was overlooking something.

Upvote 0
I still can't believe they haven't fixed the low resolution for the linked FB pic when you call someone or recieve one. Really? It can't be that hard of a fix, this day and age having a blurry pic is unacceptable.

I don't want to but I may take my DX back to the Big Red machine to exchange for another. My WiFi dropping out every ten seconds is something that I can't deal with, especially when my wife has the same phone and doesn't have any issues using GB.

Upvote 0
yes, yes, someone please fix these freakin bright ass lights!!!!

My big issue with the backlights is that when in the multimedia dock, the lights stay on. I use the dock by my bed as my phone acts as my alarm clock. As such, it would be preferable to leave the screen on in the dimmed mode. With Foryo, the screen's backlight bled through enough to make the room rather bright even when dimmed. So I had kept it off as I value sleep more than being able to see the time. With GB, it appears they rduced the amount of light from the screen to comfortable levels, but the backlights for the keys stay on. And they were much brighter than it was from the screen in Froyo. So initially I had turned off the screen again. Since, I found a workaround that seems to work for non-rooted phones. There is an app in the marketplace called Screen Filter. While the intent is to reduce the overall brightness of the screen, there is a function that allows one to turn of the backlights to the keys. Its downside is that the keys don't light up at all so when you actually need to find them, it can be a bit more difficult. Its also a little buggy as the light has come on sometimes and requires me to go back into the setting and turn it off and back on again. Good news is I can leave the display on in dimmed mode while I sleep now.

Upvote 0
Switchpro app no longer toggles GPS, 3G and Wifi for me...it is opening the settings page so I have to manually turn them on and off. The page opened for 3G seems to have nothing to do with data connection or not...

Was having issues with Juicedefender not turning 3G on fast enough but they updated it.

Going from Airplane mode to Non-airplane mode is nerve wracking...90% it won't allow for reconnect.

xScope computer native style the cursor will not line up when typing. It gets worse and worse over time..usually beginning about 2-5 letters off to sometimes being words off and selecting a section is virtually impossible because your finger is nowhere near where you are wanting to edit.

Go Launcher is the best app to have IMO. I was a HUGE LPP fanboy but that was having SOOO many issues in Froyo I have given up on it.

Widget Locker seems to hang when you turn the screen on sometimes where you have to wait an additional 5 seconds to swipe to unlock.

Upvote 0
1) definitely notice battery life dropping a bit faster...not horrendous as I have my charger on my desk at work anyway, but it will be bad when I am out and about for the day.

2) GMail still doesn't allow for you to select a "Group" or distribution list to send an email to from the Gmail app...you can only do it from the contact list...which means if you need to forward an email to a group (which I do often) you can't do it without jumping thru the copy and paste hoops...forget about the hoops if there is an attachment to the orginal email.

3) the absolute worst issue I have seen so far is the loss of functionality in the contacts/address book. If a contact has multiple email addresses, you used to be able to include them in a group or when emailing them you had the option to send (via check boxes) to one or more of their stored email addresses. NOW you CAN'T...you have to pick a default email for that contact and that is the one you have to use...okay you say no problem there, just add that person to the group using each email separately...can't do that either, once a person is added to a Group you can't add them a second time...the only work around to this is to add the person as a contact multiple times with single email addresses/phone numbers...i.e. John Doe1, John Doe2 etc. This change is an absolute cluster F in my opinion...how do you take functionality away and say it is better. The really crappy part of it when you share/send a vcard it gives you the check box option of what contact info you want to share.

4) I also didn't like the whole contact merging joing and display options for backup assistant vs google, vs facebook contacts....I backed up my contacts to google, then did a wipe and reset on my phone to kill the remnant backup assistant groups that I couldn't edit and delete...pretty stupid of Verizon to not allow you to uninstall backup assistant or delete/edit groups you don't want/use anymore.

5) One other thing I forgot to mention earlier..when I hang up from a phone call and proceed to make another call right after...I have been getting a "No Service" error, and I don't have too many NO Service areas on my daily commute, so that was a new "feature" for me to enjoy as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones