• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Dual-SIM Phone To Buy?

D

Deleted User

I am looking to purchase a dual-sim smartphone (Android or Windows) and am struggling with all the technical issues. I do not use internet or data on the phone, only voice calls and SMS messages. For all other requirements (browsing, social media, e-mail etc.) I use Wi-Fi. Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced phone with the following features:-

5 inch screen (must have - no smaller, no bigger)
dual-active (I believe this is what it is called. I have a requirement to be able to receive calls and SMS messages (only) into either SIM while idle)
I believe in some models, one SIM can receive 4G, but the second can only receive 2G (I don't understand this, but given my statements above on how I use the phone, I would appreciate some comments as to whether this would be ok for me).
Unlocked and suitable for use in Ireland
16Mb minimum internal storage (preference for 32Gb)
Good processor
Good battery life.
13Mp main camera minimum
5Mp secondary camera minimum
Screen Resolution 1080 x 1920 minimum

Thanks,
T

I know Oppo R series phones are definitely dual-SIM active, and 4G LTE capable on either SIM. Others I don't know. Why some phones have 3G/4G limited to one SIM only, like SIM1, is because they only have one 3G/4G radio in them, SIM2 being 2G GSM only. To have dual-SIM active, basically requires two radios, effectively they're two phones in one. Many devices are only dual-SIM standby.

If you're in Ireland and you want dual-SIM, you'll likely be importing from Asia, probably Hong Kong. Because dual-SIM is primarily used in China, and Asia generally, rather than EU countries AFAIK. I suggest have a look at what's on Amazon. Windows Phone devices and dual-SIM, I think your choice might be limited to a couple of Nokias. We do have a long running dual-SIM thread in Android Lounge somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Thanks mikedt.

From reading up on this, it looks like I might be able to go for a dual-SIM standby. My research indicates that if I'm on a call on SIM1 and a call comes in to SIM2, then the second caller will get a "not available, try later" message. That's actually fine with me, but what happens if I'm on a call on SIM1 and an SMS comes in for SIM2? Will the SMS be lost, or will it come in as soon as I free up SIM1?

T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones