1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General What format do you use for music?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by buzzcon, Jul 27, 2013.

1. buzzcon

buzzcon Android Enthusiast

I use Ogg Vorbis and encode all my music at 64kbs for my Victory. The sound quality is comparable to 128-192 kbs mp3 and uses a minimal amount of storage space (about 1-2 Mb per song).

I use Goldwave to convert my music and JetAudio as my media player. Not sure, but Audacity might work to convert mp3's to ogg.

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

I stick all my MP3s through a converter to take the bitrate down to around 64kbs. Song come out about the same size as the ones you have and the sound quality is good enough for me, though I'm sure it would horrify an audiophile :D

3. sandcrest

sandcrest Member

I convert mine from the original source down to WMA 64 bit for the same reason: size and quality. Everything I have is half the size of a 128 bit MP3 with at least as good quality. And since my audio library is large, it definitely helps with storage.
    I also agree that you can tell the difference between the original and compressed formats. But when I'm exercising, or driving with the top down, I'm just happy I have something to listen to.

4. insanelycool

insanelycool Well-Known Member

I use FLAC, it's 1/4 the full size of the wave and lossless. I also offload some of my storage of music into the cloud via google play. When you upload the flac files they convert them to 320kbps mp3, which is nearly indistiguishable. I do keep my Pink Floyd collection on my phone in FLAC format though. Some things are just sacrilege to accept a loss of quality on! ;)

5. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

MP3 at 192kbs. I'm into using large storage cards. :)

6. Artine

Artine Android Expert

I second FLAC - it's been my format of choice for the past couple of years. No loss to quality, and quite the decent file-size. Plus, Winamp reads and plays them so it's all good :)

7. AndroidHaCks

AndroidHaCks Android Enthusiast

MP3 at 320 bitrate.. I know it's overkill but I have 16 GB class 10 SD Card, so why not? :p

8. buzzcon

I have a 16Gb Micro SD card as well, but also have (as stated in another thread) season 1 of The Walking Dead on it. Might upgrade to a 32Gb, but I still have 4Gb unused. So far I have 550 songs on the SD card, but absolutely NO country ;)

9. AndroidHaCks

AndroidHaCks Android Enthusiast

I have only like 80 songs, a third of so is country. Maybe 2 Rap songs :p

10. aml1025

aml1025 Android Enthusiast

16 GB card, and 887 songs so far... and this thread made me realize my music is in an appalling hodge-podge of formats. Is there a good (read: simple) way to make it more uniform? Would I be better off making a new thread to ask?

11. buzzcon

It's really up to the end user. This phone, like many, is compatible with several file formats and it's up to you to decide which works best for you :).

MP3 is a type of file compression where the lower the bitrate, the lower the sound quality (like all other formats). I use .ogg and it works for what I want. Flac (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is an open source format that provides the best sound quality with a smaller file size.

FWI, CD's are .wave files and provide the best sound quality for music, but the file size is huge compared to mp3 etc.

I am not an engineer and audiophiles may have other ideas.

12. HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise Well-Known Member

I upload to Google Play as well and I just keep my music at the highest quality. I try to target 320kps as much as possible and have a few albums in FLAC, but the rest in MP3. I tried Apple's AAC because I purchased some albums from iTunes, but I ran into many hurdles finding devices that supported that format so I will stick with MP3 for now.

I like Google Play (or any cloud based player) because I have a pretty large music library. I also like listening at high quality music, from the deep lows to the crisp highs so it is key for me to keep the bit-rate high. And if I know I will have little to no data I will download the specific album to my ext sd card.

13. Mikessv

Mikessv Android Enthusiast

I have 13,000 mp3's at 320k or better, if you shrink the bitrate the crappier the sound will be

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk 2

14. buzzcon

Mike, what do you use to rip your music? 320k is the highest bitrate that I have found for mp3.

15. buzzcon

One thing that many people don't know is that several tracks purchased from Amazon are VBR (Variable Bit Rate). I am not sure why they do this except for the fact that it might reduce the file size of the track. I need to convert these tracks to CBR (Constant Bit Rate) because I use these tracks on my radio stations and VBR tracks play heck with the basic DJ on Live365. I also normalize the volume of each track so if using a media player to listen to my music, each track will be at the same volume. JetAudio has an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) feature and this also normalizes your music for a nice easy flow.

If you wish to convert your VBR tracks to CBR, I have found 192kbs to be a sweet spot to convert to. If you try to go higher, this seems to degrade the sound quality and as stated earlier, a lower bitrate will also degrade sound quality.

16. Mikessv

Mikessv Android Enthusiast

ITunes believe it or not was what I used to rip the music, you can set how high you want your bitrate in the settings for CDs. If you downloaded or bought it online then you'll have to find other options.

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk 2

17. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

I am still using Ogg Vorbis encoded at 160kbps. Funny in that when I was moving my music files from my old Optimus V to my new Galaxy, I got a warning that my new phone may not be able to read that format. No playback problems in any music player app. As for why I use Ogg, I like the siubd quality at the lower bitrate, and could tell the difference between 160 and 128.

I used to encode in AAC, but I guess I just prefer Ogg. Also tried experimenting with encoding in HE-AAC at 64. My Optimus did not like that at all. Haven't tried it on the Victory yet.