• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What happened to "Nougat"?

I'm running it on mine (HTC 10), but I'm with Sprint and I know each carrier puts their own flavors (ie: bloatware) into the updates - it sucks. Some do it faster than others though, so I've got to imagine you'll be getting it before too long. I used to have the M8 HCE, and if I remember correctly, Verizon released their version of the updated OS (Lolipop?) about a month after Sprint did. I've been running Nougat for about 2 weeks - so I would say soon... :)

Upvote 0
I'm running it on mine (HTC 10), but I'm with Sprint and I know each carrier puts their own flavors (ie: bloatware) into the updates - it sucks. Some do it faster than others though, so I've got to imagine you'll be getting it before too long. I used to have the M8 HCE, and if I remember correctly, Verizon released their version of the updated OS (Lolipop?) about a month after Sprint did. I've been running Nougat for about 2 weeks - so I would say soon... :)

Thanks for the information. I hope you're right.

Upvote 0
Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Don't have a 10. Switched to lg for the ease of battery replacement. Multitasking is sweet on the v20. Multi-screen viewing is nice. Not all apps will cooperate though.

I would be nice if the "10" had a removable battery. It gives you more options when trouble arises. My "10" just froze out of nowhere. Pulling the battery would have been nice. I finally shut it off with a 3 button push, but then it wouldn't turn on. What a drag. This is my first brick. At least Verizon is overnighting me a new one.

Upvote 0
I would be nice if the "10" had a removable battery. It gives you more options when trouble arises. My "10" just froze out of nowhere. Pulling the battery would have been nice. I finally shut it off with a 3 button push, but then it wouldn't turn on. What a drag. This is my first brick. At least Verizon is overnighting me a new one.

Hey Mark, did you get the "dead/bricked" phone onto a charger yet? I'd recommend the original one that came with the device.
Remove any protective case from the device.

If you get to try this, are you getting a charge indicator on the LED? After it sits plugged in or charges for a significant period of time - give it an hour or two, try a power button long press or the 3 button press again.

Over the years, there have been many reports of users getting a stuck or frozen device onto a charger and having it be able to be revived from a "temp brick"/black screen of death.

You have a replacement on the way, maybe you can still get the old one started up to get your data backed up.

Upvote 0
Hey Mark, did you get the "dead/bricked" phone onto a charger yet? I'd recommend the original one that came with the device.

If you get to try this, are you getting a charge indicator on the LED? After it sits plugged in or charges for a significant period of time - give it an hour or two, try a power button long press or the 3 button press again.

Over the years, there have been many reports of users getting a stuck or frozen device onto a charger and having it be able to be revived from a "temp brick"/black screen of death.

You have a replacement on the way, maybe you can still get the old one started up to get your data backed up.

Thanks so much for the advice. That's exactly what I tried after talking to Verizon. I left it "charging" overnight and then tried the 3 button push. Unfortunately nothing. Not even a flicker of hope. Luckily I had most of the important stuff on the SD card. Still going to be a nightmare setting the new phone up.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, I've made it out the other side. My phone got rather warm while it was updating (my temp sensor on it says 103.1). Apps seem to be running well, although my WiFi connection at work had to be prompted to connect a couple of times before it finally hung on.

I'm loving that we finally can edit the drawer and move things around in it. Still exploring some, so it's going to be a couple of days, but I think I'm really going to like this (as long as it isn't a battery drain)

Upvote 0
Updated and working OK so far. Don't know that I'll ever really use the split screen, but I've been eagerly awaiting the fast switching since I started using it on my tablet. Also very happy to be able to edit quick settings. Developer options and Easter Egg don't appear to be disabled this time around either.

What Easter egg are you talking about? (Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question.)
Forget the Easter egg. I just started to download the update. See you all soon. I hope!

Upvote 0
What Easter egg are you talking about? (Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question.)
Android Neko Cat?

Open Settings on your phone (either by dragging down the notifications shade and tapping the gear, or opening the Settings App in the App Drawer.)
  1. Scroll down to “Android Version,” which should read 7.0, and tap three or four times until it fades away and is replaced by a big “N” on your screen.
  2. Tap the N four or five times, then long-press it until your phone vibrates. You’ll see a tiny cat emoji under the N appear, then fade away.
  3. Pull down the notifications shade again, then pull the menu down again until you see “edit” in the lower right side of the shade. Tap it.
  4. Under “Drag to Edit Tiles,” you should see a cat labeled “Android Easter Egg.” Tap and hold on the cat and drag it up to your Quick Settings, and drop it wherever you want.
  5. Tap back to get out of this screen, then pull down the notifications shade to see where you dropped the cat. It should now be an dish, labeled “Empty Dsih.”
  6. Tap the Empty Dish to choose food to put out for the cats. You have four options: Bits, Fish, Chicken, or Treat. Choose whatever you like!
(Credit LifeHacker for concise directions)

Upvote 0
Android Neko Cat?

Open Settings on your phone (either by dragging down the notifications shade and tapping the gear, or opening the Settings App in the App Drawer.)
  1. Scroll down to “Android Version,” which should read 7.0, and tap three or four times until it fades away and is replaced by a big “N” on your screen.
  2. Tap the N four or five times, then long-press it until your phone vibrates. You’ll see a tiny cat emoji under the N appear, then fade away.
  3. Pull down the notifications shade again, then pull the menu down again until you see “edit” in the lower right side of the shade. Tap it.
  4. Under “Drag to Edit Tiles,” you should see a cat labeled “Android Easter Egg.” Tap and hold on the cat and drag it up to your Quick Settings, and drop it wherever you want.
  5. Tap back to get out of this screen, then pull down the notifications shade to see where you dropped the cat. It should now be an dish, labeled “Empty Dsih.”
  6. Tap the Empty Dish to choose food to put out for the cats. You have four options: Bits, Fish, Chicken, or Treat. Choose whatever you like!
(Credit LifeHacker for concise directions)
Thanks so much. I never knew about it.
Back to Nougat, it's working ok so far. I use Nova for my UI. The dual screen works with it. I just have to spend some time figuring all this out. Wow!

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
After downloading Nougat, I agree with Whizgidget. It got warm during the download but now is fine. So far no major problems and it seems like it may be running smoother and a little faster. It didn't fix my "OK Google" issue, but I really didn't expect it to. That was too much for one day. As of now, I'm happy.

Reactions: TooHip
Upvote 0
Anyone else find that Nougat made a major change in file structure. My main Directory "/Device" is now empty. I haven't searched yet to see where it went. Is it just me or others too? I also just found out that I'm having trouble connecting to Google Play. It's not my internet connection because I'm posting this. Maybe its just traffic. I guess I'll find out soon. Well I found out that I can connect to Play with Chrome, but not with the Play app. ???????

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones