• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What happens after the 5GB data cap on 3G?

cesjr02

Android Enthusiast
May 6, 2010
Pretty simple question since I'm new to both Sprint service and a data loving smartphone.

I'm not in a 4G area, I'll primarily be on Sprint's 3G service. First of all, 5GB is a lot for anything we'd be doing on a phone, has anyone came close to hitting 5GB/mo?

Also what happens after you hit 5GB, is data service cut off or are you simply charged into oblivion?

there is no 5 gig cap on the evo. the $10 charge lifts the cap!!

I've been all over these forums and see a lot of people saying that there is no 5GB cap with the Premium Data Plan... BUT I haven't seen one post confirming this with a link to an official statement from Sprint. Has anyone else seen anything official from Sprint? I hope this is true because then I'll feel like I'm actually getting something for the extra charge.

Upvote 0
There never was a 3g 5gig cap for phone data use, only for 3g broadband devices. Read Sprints fine print, it ONLY lists a 5gig cap for 3g broadband, NOT for phone usage.

http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/onlin...terStringParamName=&newZipCode=14623&x=45&y=4

You'll see at the bottom of that link for Mobile Broadband Connection Plans it lists it, doesn't for phone plans.

Now if you tether, that is a different story because it is not the phone using the data, another device is.

Upvote 0
I've been all over these forums and see a lot of people saying that there is no 5GB cap with the Premium Data Plan... BUT I haven't seen one post confirming this with a link to an official statement from Sprint. Has anyone else seen anything official from Sprint? I hope this is true because then I'll feel like I'm actually getting something for the extra charge.

Official documents do show the 5gb cap is lifted: http://explainthefee.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/106726-3.png

Upvote 0
They can not charge you for going over. That is untrue. They simply reserve the right to drop you as a customer. So it is unlimited and limited. It is unlimited as in, they will never charge you for the extra data. But it is limited in the fact that they reserve the right to kick you off after 5GBs. If you go over enough where it is effecting their network, they will simply send you a letter telling you to find another service provider. No charges. They will also warn you.

Upvote 0
This is a good question to ask this:

I will be a new Sprint customer when EVO comes out on Friday, I will use the phone for everything and when I am work I want to try Sprint TV and just have some TV while working.

Is there anyone here that use Sprint TV everyday? And how much data do you use per month if this is the case?

Is good to know you have now unlimited data since you are paying $10 extra dollars.

Upvote 0
They likely put that 5gb cap to keep people from abusing the system. That way they could take action if they wanted if you went over that cap. Some people were using it for their broadband connection and using way more than the 5gb.

I suspect that people will abuse the "unlimited" 4g plans, but Sprint will more than make up for it with the extra $10 charge since most users paying that won't abuse the system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones