• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What happens when all the space for new shortcut icons runs out?

I was getting close to a hundred user apps on the Ascend (92 I think), and still ran (almost) fine. I had to really watch my settings, and had a little lag, but not much. It worked far better than it had a right to with that much installed on it. As far as shortcuts for all those, I used Apps Organizer. I'm a big advocate of this app. It takes a couple minutes to get them organized, but once they are, it's awesome. If you use something like this, though, just make sure not use the widgets to the different folders. Always use shortcuts instead.

Reactions: DMajor239
Upvote 0
I was getting close to a hundred user apps on the Ascend (92 I think), and still ran (almost) fine. I had to really watch my settings, and had a little lag, but not much. It worked far better than it had a right to with that much installed on it. As far as shortcuts for all those, I used Apps Organizer. I'm a big advocate of this app. It takes a couple minutes to get them organized, but once they are, it's awesome. If you use something like this, though, just make sure not use the widgets to the different folders. Always use shortcuts instead.

also file folder works great also, got it from amazon free app of the day last week i think but its awesome. ;)

Upvote 0
I was trying to say the main shortcut area was filled not just the desktop.
Anything that can be run from sd card already is.

What directory can i go in maybe with root explorere to start an app if I don't have a shortcut to it. I have a terminal program also I could start it from there. but need the command and the directory. I am more familialar with starting apps in Suse Linux. Never started apps in android without shortcuts before.

Upvote 0
I was trying to say the main shortcut area was filled not just the desktop.
Anything that can be run from sd card already is.

What directory can i go in maybe with root explorere to start an app if I don't have a shortcut to it. I have a terminal program also I could start it from there. but need the command and the directory. I am more familialar with starting apps in Suse Linux. Never started apps in android without shortcuts before.

You don't have an app drawer?

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by appdrawer?

when i click the middle launcher button with the dots all the icon spaces are already filled. not on the desktop not sure if that is what is called the app drawer? Is there a wqay to start executable apps from a certain directory even without a shortcut for it?

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by appdrawer?

when i click the middle launcher button with the dots all the icon spaces are already filled. not on the desktop not sure if that is what is called the app drawer? Is there a wqay to start executable apps from a certain directory even without a shortcut for it?

That's the app drawer. Scroll the screen up. Every app you have installed is there. Some launchers, though, default to a side scrolling drawer. Just tap one to launch it.
And to add a shortcut onto a home screen, hold down on it without letting up, and the home screen will pop up. Drop it where you wish, or take it to an edge to put it on an adjacent screen.

Upvote 0
As far as I know the appdrawer only scrolls up.
And it is filled with icons. After I installed the last
app there is no more space for any more programs unless I start removing programs. I have more space on my sd but not in my app drawer.
That is why I asked for another way to start apps.

Also is there a way in lp to hold down a button to see a split screen of all three desktops?

Upvote 0
As far as I know the appdrawer only scrolls up.
And it is filled with icons. After I installed the last
app there is no more space for any more programs unless I start removing programs. I have more space on my sd but not in my app drawer.
That is why I asked for another way to start apps.

Also is there a way in lp to hold down a button to see a split screen of all three desktops?

The app drawer is infinite. What makes you think there is no more room? If your phone tells that you're running out of room, then that's an internal memory issue. There are a couple way around it. You can move certain user apps to your sdcard and out of internal memory by going to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications then tapping on an app and tapping Move to SD card, though not all of them will do it. And if the ones you move have widgets, you'll loose the ability to use those widgets.
Or you can use Darktremor's a2sd to increase your internal memory by using a partition of your sdcard as virtual memory.
Either way, sdbooster will help speed up read times of your sdcard.

And as for Launcher Pro, I can't remember what brings up all your screens at once. It's either double tap the back or home key, or long press one of them.

Upvote 0
The app drawer is infinite. What makes you think there is no more room? If your phone tells that you're running out of room, then that's an internal memory issue. There are a couple way around it. You can move certain user apps to your sdcard and out of internal memory by going to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications then tapping on an app and tapping Move to SD card, though not all of them will do it. And if the ones you move have widgets, you'll loose the ability to use those widgets.
Or you can use Darktremor's a2sd to increase your internal memory by using a partition of your sdcard as virtual memory.
Either way, sdbooster will help speed up read times of your sdcard.

And as for Launcher Pro, I can't remember what brings up all your screens at once. It's either double tap the back or home key, or long press one of them.

+1

Upvote 0
I move all my user apps except skyfire, email droidwall and titanium, launcher,juice defender, to sd.

not using link to sd. Titanium backup moves non movable apps to sd. zdnet was only app that didn't move. sdboost wouldn't work when I had it installed. I would have never been able to install over 50 apps if most of them weren't on the sd. way ahead of that. my app drawer is currently full. only way to add stuff right now is removing an app. thjen adding an app. still have almost 20 gig free on sd. That is way I was asking if there was another way to start apps other than app drawer. Never tried adding apps beyond the app drawer capacity.
Does a2sd work on stock froyo? And does it require reformatting sd card? that was why I didn't use link to sd. Running most apps from sd card is fine. My issue was running out of space in app drawer.

Upvote 0
Would it expand to another page? or not? when i added last app i uninstalled one app then added another. This my first android that is why I was asking. but right now app drawer is full. phone has barely any space but i usually move everything to sd after installing. there is still 20 gig space on sd.

Upvote 0
Youre running into an internal/sdcard space issue not an app drawer issue. You can have 500 pages if your phone's/ sd card's storage allows it.

And heres an idea. A little far fetched but delete some apps. I guarantee you dont use all them on a regular basis.

Oh and 20 gigs of space on the SD? You do know the Ascend is only rated for a 16gb right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones