• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What happens with a hard reset on rooted phone

jtpryan

Dec 7, 2009
My wifes 2 year plan has come to term and I am thinking of giving her my Droid (1) and getting something new for my self. She really likes my phone and the keyboard and I find I don't really use it.

Anyway, I would like to give it to her as clean as possible as I have a ton of apps and contacts that she doesn't need or want. It is rooted, so what happens if I do a hard reset? Will I end up with a non rooted 2.2 phone or a rooted 2.2 phone and no data? I know deleting my email account and loading hers will solve the contact issue, but I really don't want to have to go through and delete all these app's.

-Jim

Well, you could wipe ALL partitions, including the SD Card. I would, however, backup everything on your PC first. Then wipe everything. Wiping Data only would solve the App issue (once she logs into her account, it will only reinstall her apps). If you don't want to completely wipe the SD Card, you could manually delete any and all data, especially your backup ROMs, they take up a ton of space.

Upvote 0
A 'hard reset' will not un-root the phone. If you want to give it to her as clean as possible, do as dreadnatty08 suggests. Wipe all data on the phone and format the SD card. However, once she gets all her info in there and everything set up I would make a nandroid backup of the phone in that state. You are rooted and it never hurts to have a good working backup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones