• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What have you found new or different in 2.1?

For those who complained about updating to 2.1 without root.

[ROM] ESE81 Completely Stock With Proper Root, SU, & Baseband

Used that before getting OTA, works great. You have to have modified Restore, and some other pre-reqs that are explained in the link.

And if you want more than 3 screens, get HelixLauncher. I have now seen it in the Market. Runs flawless without any FCs. I only get one force close when i resume from a reboot.

Upvote 0
Ahh gotcha.....thanks!!

There are 2 base methods:

1. Buy a home media dock (official or the EZESTAND. I own one of those from a forum member who's been selling them for around $12.99. GREAT stand that I use at home. Comes with magnet installed just like the official dock.

I also bought a Ped3 Universal Dock for work (see attached images) and stuck a small magnet on the right place to go into Dock mode. You can adjust as well for the Car dock home.

2. Use a free app from the Market to enter the right mode. I used to use DockRunner before having these 2 stands.

Attachments

• Ped3 Dock 1.jpg
    Ped3 Dock 1.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Ped3 Dock 2.jpg
    Ped3 Dock 2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: ezeStand
Upvote 0
Another minor change in 2.1: LED notifications for new Gmail (green blinking LED) now turns off when the screen is on (in which case you can see the status bar notification).

I was a bit confused when the LED wasn't blinking this morning because I knew I received email overnight, but found out that was the case when I turned the screen off (I leave it in the media dock overnight as my alarm clock).

Not sure if it's an improvement, but something different.

Upvote 0
One of the issues that was not addressed in 2.1 is the ability to accept/decline .ics appointments on the calendar. This may be insignificant to some, but as a business user, this is really annoying. *.ICS appointment file requests are used by Google Calendar, Apple ICal, and Mozilla Sunbird, but if someone sends me an appointment on my GMail, I cannot accept or decline that appointment from my droid. FAIL!:mad::mad::mad:

Google should really address this issue. It seems like this would be relatively easy. There are some "workarounds" like downloading an app from the Market, saving the ics file on the SD card, and using the app to load it. The one I'm using is setting up GMail to accept all calendar requests. However, now I have to go through my calendar every day and delete those that I would have declined.

While I think the Droid is still superior to other smartphones, this just reinforces the fact that it's more of a toy than a business tool, and the Blackberry is more of a business tool than a toy.

If someone knows of a method around this, please let me know.

Upvote 0
I installed Google Earth and played around with it. Then I noticed it was over 22mb and said holy #@%& and uninstalled it! That's too big for an app I'm barely going to use.

Google Earth isn't showing up in the market for me. I've received the OTA and it's working, I've got live wallpapers, pinch to zoom, etc. but can't find that. I haven't received any notification of updates to any of my apps either.:thinking:

Upvote 0
I've read over on the Google forum that other are having the same problem. Some are saying that a newer droid is getting it, yet a droid rolled out on day one is not. Don't know about this but my droid was from launch date.

I got mine the day after launch and it worked a few days ago.

HOWEVER, just out of curiosity I checked again and it's not there anymore :thinking: Weird!!!! I promise, I used to have it! I downloaded it right after I updated my phone, and quickly uninstalled it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones