• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What hot keys you can't live without?

cut, copy, paste!!! and it kills me to watch people not use them especially if they don't know about right clicking.

I am a programmer and I use those three every single day multiple times in a day.

An additional one would be windows key + L which is lock saves time not having to click to lock your desktop.

Upvote 0
Copy and Paste (Ctrl c, Ctrl v) are my main ones.

When i am programming or typing a document of some sort, i use Home and End to go to start/end of lines. I also use arrow keys often instead of using mouse pointer. Holding shift while using arrow keys select text. Holding Ctrl while using arrow keys (or home/end) selects by word instead of character.

Ctrl + arrow, Home, or End
Ctrl + Shift + arrow, Home, or End
Both do wonders in terms of navigating through text. It took a little while to get used to it but i use it all the time now. It sure beats fiddling with the mouse.

Windows key + # to focus a program on my taskbar. Windows key + Tab to switch to next program.

Alt + Space bar followed by 'c' to close a window.

I have Ctrl + Space set through Auto Hot Key to 'keep window on top' for when im using notepad on top of FireFox or watching a video in a small screen while browsing the web.

Tab to go to next item and Shift + Tab to go back an item.

Ive also got FireFox set up with Auto Hot Key so i can use 'wasd' to navigate through tabs and close them.

I love using hotkeys, they save a lot of time and make tasks most people do with the mouse faster and simpler.

Reactions: vandadroid
Upvote 0
One issue i have is browsing the web, primarily forums such as this one, with hotkeys by themself. I hate using my Touchpad, and my laptop overheated before, so it is very spotty on the left half. It half way dont work.

I was wondering if any of you are able to select and open links with hotkeys alone. I can switch tabs, open/close tabs, scroll tabs etc. The problem is selecting a link. Using Tab is not viable because there are so many items. I can use Ctrl+f and type a word from the thread, it highlights the word in the thread name, then close the Find item, then press Enter and it will load the tab. But i am looking for a more user-friendly method. Preferably with using the arrow keys. Is there a third-party application that will enable me to do this?

Im kind of looking for a way similar to browsing on google.com. I can use arrow keys to navigate the search results, use Menu key, Enter to open, etc. Id like to do it this way on other sites as well.

Edit: After further research i found out, in FireFox (which i use), i can use the ' key to search by link only. I also discovered that Opera has Shift + Arrow keys to navigate by link in table (Ctrl for all links), which works excellent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones