1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What I desperately want to see: A large screen Android vertical slider

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by effluent, Feb 10, 2011.

1. effluent

effluent Android Enthusiast

I have an EVO and can't imagine having a smaller screened phone. On the other hand, I can't imagine buying another phone that doesn't have hardware keyboard(and I do not like landscape keyboards at all). Seeing the Pre 3 made me think to post this. That phone would be the perfect phone for me if it had at least a 4 inch screen and was Android. I thought I could get used to typing on a screen but it sucks when you are used to Palm/Blackberry style typing. I previously had a Centro, and before that a Treo, and I could type extremely fast without looking at the keyboard with almost no mistakes. I've had an EVO since June and I have to look at the keyboard to type, therefore I don't notice the plethora of mistakes made until I look at what I typed. Hate the typing experience so much. I've tried every soft keyboard under the sun.

I'm surprised there isn't more demand for this, must not be, the only phones I can think of with vertical sliders are Pre's and that Dell Windows phone. There are options for landscape sliders but I think that's a terrible typing experience, too much finger travel. BB style is most effecient and fastest.

I'd be all over a 4+" screen Android phone with a vertical sliding keyboard. Anyone else?

andavane likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. effluent

3. czechplastik

czechplastik Android Enthusiast

Yeh he meant the device design not the OS.

You want something like that with Android?

4. effluent

Ahh gotcha. Yep, just like that pretty much.

5. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert

I don't think I am going too far out on a limb when I say you are definitely in the minority here. I imagine someone will try it at some point. Sales will dictate ever trying it again... most likely the sales will be terrible compared to the competition.

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Have you considered a phone with a landscape keyboard like the Desire Z? It may take you some time to get used to the different keyboard, but at least it has the tactile feel of physical keys that you seem to want.

7. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

Why? Full touch screens are the fashion if you look at what's currently out there. If you're only considering your own preference I guess it's not surprising that you're surprised.

8. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert

You are definitely in the minority here (unless if you are talking to a group of black berry fans). I would like a phone with hardware keyboard too, but only because I want to use it for gaming. I wouldn't want to actually type on a keyboard that small.

9. lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine Lurker

I am so with you on this. In fact, I am typing this on my Motorola Droid Pro. It really surprises me that no one has ever offered a a verticle slider with a 4 inch screen. How many black slabs or horizontal slider do we need? Here's hoping.

10. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Full touch screen phones take up too much screen real estate when editing word/excel and using the terminal emulator.

Since there are plenty of business users, a physical keyboard will still be in high demand.

HTC 4-inch Android phone with QWERTY keyboard for Verizon

11. andavane

andavane Lurker

I'm more than 100% with you all the way with this. I too used to have a Palm Treo 650. My need is extreme really due to arthritis of the hands. It's physically impossible for me manage touch screens.

I'm using one of these atm:

Alcatel OT-980 budget Android phone unboxed: photos | Electricpig

It's only entry level, but it looks good (people tell me) and are surprised when I tell them it's only