1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What i did to get the best of my DC!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Outsider(Avid HustlaZ), Jun 8, 2011.

1. Outsider(Avid HustlaZ)

Outsider(Avid HustlaZ) Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    rapper, producer and security
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here are links to the kernels and cwm that made my phone 100% faster and better and the steps i took to do it:

Link to imnuts kernel:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1104634

Link to voodoo lagfix, root and recovery:

Http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=109211

Steps i took in full:

I was first on stock rooted ED1 i had to once again Odin to stock rooted ED1 to get update to ED2. Updated to ED2 then Odin'd the "voodoo lagfix kernel version 4" that can be found on 2nd link above(when on that page scroll down and you will see 2 links one at the bottom that says "cwm2.tar" and another thats kinda close to the bottom that says "voodoolagfix.tar.5" something like that..download both..i myself had to copy and paste url of voodoo lagfix to browser to get it to download) Odin voodoo lagfix first(very important you do that first).Then Odin the cwm.tar file. After the cwm.tar file is done disconnect phone from computer put battery back in then hold down volume up/home/power button all at once until SAMSUNG name appears then let go. A voice should come on indicating how long it will take for lagfix to take affect(2-5 minutes). Once done it should go into CWM mode you will see all read lettering with options DO NOT MAKE A BACK UP OF ANY KIND IT IS NOT FIXED YET FOR THAT!!! Click power button to reboot phone. Once rebooted(u will see a lot of lag on boot animation its ok its normal for now) plug back into computer. Download "imnuts" kernel found in 1st link above(you have 2 options with voodoo lagfix and with out voodoo lagfix) place file STILL ZIPPED(DO NOT UNZIP) into root of your sdcard. Unplug phone from computer and get into CWM (volume up/home/power) do as you would regular CWM to upload the kernel package(upload from sdcard/imnuts package(not real name of it)/scroll to yes/reboot) once rebooted to make sure all is good go to settings and about phone look for kernel and it should say:

imnuts@virtualbox#1

And you should be on ED2.

Next check to see if you have root by seeing if you superuser. If all of this is done then you have it correct!

Things to check on:

Have good enough battery life

Whenever you do a different Odin make sure you close odin window completely

When in CWM back button does not work you must:

Press back button/power button to enable back button then on the screen where the options are you will see

****go back****

That is the back button

If you have any questions please revert to the links provided. This is only what i did to get where im at hope this helps for all of you.

Advertisement

haza12d likes this.
  2. haza12d

haza12d Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    How's your battery life been? How long ago have you been running your Charge like this?

3. Outsider(Avid HustlaZ)

None

Aug 12, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ

Battery life is great and ive been running it for about 1 week...now theres one coming out from a guy named "kejar" he did the gummy layout..he says hes making a rom for EE4 the latest update..cant wait.

4. haza12d

haza12d Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    I think the second link you posted is broken. Is this the link you are talking about? [ROOT] [KERNEL] [RECOVERY] - Root / Voodoo Lagfix / CWM Recovery - xda-developers

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right: "I was first on stock rooted ED1 i had to once again Odin to stock rooted ED1 to get update to ED2" But if you were on stock rooted ED1, why would you have to Flash to a stock rooted ED1 to be able to update to ED2? Currently, my phone is rooted using the One-Click Gingersnap method and I'm on ED1. Is it necessary to update to ED2 for all this to work? Or can I just flash it with the kernel found on the 2nd link?

Also, since I'll be flashing with Voodoo Lagfix first, should I then download the "0602_charge_novoodoo.zip?" Since I will already have Lagfix enabled?

So after doing all this, does the appearance of the phone change at all? Call me crazy, but I kinda like how the color scheme is and just want a performance boost.

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be sure I get things right before I attempt to do all this. Thanks!

5. Outsider(Avid HustlaZ)

None

Aug 12, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ

Well yes the link u have is the one. Nd i had to go to ed1 again because i had blocked ed2 to OTA. You have to have ed2 for it to work. I myself did voodoo lagfix+downloaded the voodoo version of imnuts kernel you can do either or. No it will not change appearance. Just a reminder tho that the DC is now updated with EE4 at the xdaforums they have the files for you to root EE4 here is what i did incase you wanna go that route:

Odin ED1(must disable lagfix before odin to ed1)
    Let OTA of EE4 download
    Odin CWM(new version from imnuts)
    Flashed imnuts PBJ kernel(with voodoo)
    Downloaded GummyCharged 1.5 on phone made by Kejar
    Flashed GummyCharged using CWM(must wipe data partician and must wipe data/factory reset from CWM)
    After installing all my apps re-downloaded to phone then opened up Astro file manager, looked for the "voodoo" folder and deleted the file named "disable_lagifix" then rebooted phone waited for voice to tell me all was ok and that lagfix was applied phone rebooted
    Now im on EE4 with imnuts pbj kernel and gummycharged 1.5 rom(this will change appearance to look like gingerbread.) Hope this helps.