• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What I Have Done With a Droid Now That It's Rooted

I would like to know this too. Every other phone I have had has allowed me to turn it off.

Work-around in the meantime...silence your phone and there is no "click" or autofocus sound when you take a picture. I use RingToggle - keep a shortcut to it on my desktop for silencing the phone in movies, etc.

However, I find people I'm taking pics of generally like getting the audible confirmation that the pic was taking and they can relax. :)

Where it's useful to silence for me is when taking pics in a restaurant or other public place where the click can be a bit loud/distracting for others...

Upvote 0
SCORE score SCOREscoreScOrEEEEEEEEEEE :D:D:D

For anyone having trouble deleting the default apps via terminal... or simply do not want to be bothered with terminal, there is a solution!

It will cost you $1.99, though.

go to market and download "Root Explorer". It is a file manager that allows you to edit your system files.

I was skeptical at first, since Ive been fighting with terminal for 2 hours and getting absolutely nowhere, but I just cleared off all of my unwanted programs.

I'm so happy... excuse me while I go do my "score" dance for another 20 minutes. :D:D:D

Ninja Edit: I'm not responsible for your bricked phones, so make sure you know what you are doing before you get too happy deleting apps. ;)

Upvote 0
SCORE score SCOREscoreScOrEEEEEEEEEEE :D:D:D

For anyone having trouble deleting the default apps via terminal... or simply do not want to be bothered with terminal, there is a solution!

It will cost you $1.99, though.

go to market and download "Root Explorer". It is a file manager that allows you to edit your system files.

I was skeptical at first, since Ive been fighting with terminal for 2 hours and getting absolutely nowhere, but I just cleared off all of my unwanted programs.

I'm so happy... excuse me while I go do my "score" dance for another 20 minutes. :D:D:D

Ninja Edit: I'm not responsible for your bricked phones, so make sure you know what you are doing before you get too happy deleting apps. ;)

does it only work on a rooted Droid or can you remove system apps without being rooted?

I'm not ready to take the plunge but wouldn't mind getting rid of useless apps that are installed by default.

Upvote 0
does it only work on a rooted Droid or can you remove system apps without being rooted?

I'm not ready to take the plunge but wouldn't mind getting rid of useless apps that are installed by default.

Has to be a rooted phone. From the looks of what is at the top of the screen, I would say it just does the work of the terminal typing for you.

Upvote 0
sooo here's my question, what benefits have you seen now that you rooted it and stopped a few apps from loading, or is it that it hasnt' been rooted long enough yet for you to report that you've customized the phone completely to your liking?

I have plenty of little things I don't like about how the phone operates, but as far as speed, I have 30 odd apps loaded including dx top home and I have no problems with glitching or choppiness, so while I might know the calendar and corporate crap are running in the background, they're not really slowing the phone down.

question, with a rooted phone could you make the 16gb card operate more like internal memory thus removing the 256mb limit on the phone out of the box....what I'm asking is can you make the apps be stored on the card and make the phone look to the card when running apps....so feasibly you'd really be unlimited in the amount of apps you could load?

Upvote 0
Work-around in the meantime...silence your phone and there is no "click" or autofocus sound when you take a picture. I use RingToggle - keep a shortcut to it on my desktop for silencing the phone in movies, etc.

However, I find people I'm taking pics of generally like getting the audible confirmation that the pic was taking and they can relax. :)

Where it's useful to silence for me is when taking pics in a restaurant or other public place where the click can be a bit loud/distracting for others...

Yea, I do that too, but sometimes I forget.

Upvote 0
I am trying to uninstall some apps, but i get stuck at this step

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

It says operation not permitted. And with root explorer (/system/app) i get

Warning com.amazon.mp3.apk cannot be deleted because the file system is read-only

Edit: Nevermind, I see this was answered.

Did you do the "su" command first? This makes you root so you can then remount the file system. You can't delete that apk because the remounting failed.

Try typing "whoami"....it should say "root" if you are actually root. *

*I haven't actually tried this on my droid, but it's a standard linux command so I assume it's supported.

Upvote 0
What else can be done on a rooted phone? Right now I don't see anything worth the risk of bricking it. Also, I heard you can get apps for free when you have a rooted phone

Honestly, I would rather pay for apps... I'm all about rooting and whatnot, but I also think it's great to support devs. Especially in the Android Marketplace, where there's not as many potential downloaders. Ripping off devs = lame.

Can you still get OTA updates when you root?

It usually disables OTA updates, but for a good reason. An OTA update could brick a rooted phone.

Upvote 0
HaHa!!! Found it! /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg Changed it to camera_click.bak and not more click! Now I need to find the beepbeep when you push the button.

Hey, quick question for the guys that's been playing with this longer than the hour I have. Is there a terminal emulator that has tab completion? I'd even settle for cut and paste.

Upvote 0
Ok, so Cyanogen has an Eclair (2.0) build up. Now that the droid is rooted, has anyone tried to drop Cyanogen's Mod onto thier Droid?
Right now I have 2 droids next to me. I have to ship one back. If you guys want me to test some things out on this droid, let me know. I could care less about bricking since I have a spare right here. Let me know if you guys want me to try some things and I might need a little assistance as well.

Upvote 0
Right now I have 2 droids next to me. I have to ship one back. If you guys want me to test some things out on this droid, let me know. I could care less about bricking since I have a spare right here. Let me know if you guys want me to try some things and I might need a little assistance as well.

If you could root it, then go to CyanogenMod Wiki and see if you ca load a ROM, that would be awesome. I can't afford to do it as my Droid is not only my only cell, but only phone at all.

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones