• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What I Have Done With a Droid Now That It's Rooted

SCORE score SCOREscoreScOrEEEEEEEEEEE :D:D:D

For anyone having trouble deleting the default apps via terminal... or simply do not want to be bothered with terminal, there is a solution!

It will cost you $1.99, though.

go to market and download "Root Explorer". It is a file manager that allows you to edit your system files.

I was skeptical at first, since Ive been fighting with terminal for 2 hours and getting absolutely nowhere, but I just cleared off all of my unwanted programs.

I'm so happy... excuse me while I go do my "score" dance for another 20 minutes. :D:D:D

Ninja Edit: I'm not responsible for your bricked phones, so make sure you know what you are doing before you get too happy deleting apps. ;)

And it works Great, Thanks! ;)

Upvote 0
in "Root Explorer" App? I don't have anything on the top right.. i just have a list of all the folders in the root all from top to bottom, above that is the pull down notifications..

In Root Explorer there should be a white box just below the status line which is below the notification bar and if you don't see that box, than your Droid is not Rooted. The App does state in the market if you're not Rooted than the App will just be a Standard Explorer

Upvote 0
i cant root my droid for some reason, im following a tutorial and it says to navigate to the "tools" folder of the android SDK in command prompt. So i can get the the folder right before it by

dir

dir android-sdk-windows

then when i type

dir tools

it says it cant find the directory

any ideas? thanks,kinda new here

If you've updated your Droid Manually with in the past couple days, then you can follow those same few steps and in less than a Min your Droid can be Rooted. Just follow the Simple Version Here

Did it and it worked like a charm

Upvote 0
If you've updated your Droid Manually with in the past couple days, then you can follow those same few steps and in less than a Min your Droid can be Rooted. Just follow the Simple Version Here

Did it and it worked like a charm

I actually did that earlier today, I was surprised at how incredibly easy it was. Even though theres still not a whole lot to do with a rooted droid yet.

Upvote 0
i cant root my droid for some reason, im following a tutorial and it says to navigate to the "tools" folder of the android SDK in command prompt. So i can get the the folder right before it by

dir

dir android-sdk-windows

then when i type

dir tools

it says it cant find the directory

any ideas? thanks,kinda new here

If you're having this many problems with dos, I really don't think you should root your phone. At the moment there's really no need.

Upvote 0
I think it would be useful to compile all the things we could do now with the rooted Droid, with procedures, in one place, so other people can decide whether it's worth the hassle.

I finally got rid of Amazon MP3, Visual Voicemail, Corporate Calender and Email applications, by downloading Terminal Emulator from the App Store and typing the following into my droid into the terminal emulator:

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

cd /system/app

mv Email.apk Email.bak

mv VVMStub.apk VVMStub.bak

mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak

mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak

mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

sync

reboot

As you can see, I only renamed the file extension, so if I ever need those apps, or something goes wrong, I can always just rename them back.

What else have you guys done (please post with procedures/download links/etc)

So this is one thing I want to do, but does this remove the apps completely no? So do they still take up space and just not work? I want them gone.

Upvote 0
Nevermind got it, got amazon off, and facebook, tried to delete visual voicemail, (vvstub.apk) but it's still there? Using root explorer...

edit, got it, forgot that I had the update for it even though i don't use it, got tired of seeing the damn notification, now, I am wondering about deleting the stock browser, unsure though, I use dolphin, but I don't want to delete it and have it have some unforseen bad thing happen, although I wouldn't think it would do anything bad...
anyone, what do you all think?

Upvote 0
All you need to do is follow some of the guides here, once you get the update.zip you just put it on your sdcard, not in any folders, and then turn your Droid off, then turn it back on holding the x key on the Droid keyboard. When you see the yellow triangle hit the volume up button and halfway click the camera button, then use the dpad to select apply update.zip, when it's done reboot your Droid and download Android Terminal Emulator and type su to verify it's rooted.

@DankyDroid - You shouldn't have deleted ANY STOCK APPS, if you use any normal update your Droid will become a brick for the most part. You will need to put all those apps back before applying any updates (custom made ROM's should be ok though) or else you won't get past the boot screen. Renaming the .apk to .bak is what you should have done like stated before, the Droid has plenty of extra space so they won't limit you from installing other stuff.

Upvote 0
Hi, I rooted my Droid ...and also added the SU update as well ... ok now ...

1. I see that i have a little ninja icon in my app list that says SU permissions ,,,, ummm is that supposed to be there?

2. I would like to delete a few stock ringtones and wallpapers THAT I WILL never use

3. Can we use the APPS2SD app and if so ... how do i format my SD card (with a MAC) and all that stuff ?!!? Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, I rooted my Droid ...and also added the SU update as well ... ok now ...

1. I see that i have a little ninja icon in my app list that says SU permissions ,,,, ummm is that supposed to be there?

2. I would like to delete a few stock ringtones and wallpapers THAT I WILL never use

3. Can we use the APPS2SD app and if so ... how do i format my SD card (with a MAC) and all that stuff ?!!? Thanks

Format the sd card for ms dos with disk utility in the Utilities folder. I wouldn't bother deleting anything in the system folder, it's really not going to free up that much space anyway. Like the other guys said, some update might depend on one of those files and freak out when it's no longer there.

Upvote 0
All you need to do is follow some of the guides here, once you get the update.zip you just put it on your sdcard, not in any folders, and then turn your Droid off, then turn it back on holding the x key on the Droid keyboard. When you see the yellow triangle hit the volume up button and halfway click the camera button, then use the dpad to select apply update.zip, when it's done reboot your Droid and download Android Terminal Emulator and type su to verify it's rooted.

@DankyDroid - You shouldn't have deleted ANY STOCK APPS, if you use any normal update your Droid will become a brick for the most part. You will need to put all those apps back before applying any updates (custom made ROM's should be ok though) or else you won't get past the boot screen. Renaming the .apk to .bak is what you should have done like stated before, the Droid has plenty of extra space so they won't limit you from installing other stuff.

Oh...
Well do you mean ota or any update? I didn't think it would do OTA anymore and I thought I would always do manual, are you saying either would do it? Why is that forgive me I just know enough to be dangerous lol....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones