1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What I Have Done With a Droid Now That It's Rooted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jarek, Dec 9, 2009.

1. DankyDroid

DankyDroid Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Verizon Wireless
    In a house
    Worse case scenario, I get 2 year pricing every 10 months..so 9 months from now....
    But are you sure that it's any big deal? How would you get those back I wonder...could you not flash it? Deleted vvm,Facebook,Amazon, and Corporate calendar, thought about the browser too bit I guess I will leave he hehe......
    Is it a big deal really? I won't worry about it, hell I probably won't have this phone by the end of the summer anyway but thank for the heads up..

Advertisement

2. eclipse0007

eclipse0007 Lurker
    None

Dec 17, 2009
    I need the update.zip file so I Xmas just drag it to my ad card please both else is workin

3. ldougherty

ldougherty Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    What folder did you find vvstub.apk

I don't see it in /system/app

4. ldougherty

ldougherty Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    nm, for whatever reason it wasn't listed via shell but it shows up when I connect using root explorer.

5. Jaxx10

Jaxx10 Member
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    have any of u noticed that after root some apps get a force close ?!!? like pandora amd labyrinth ... i had to reinstall the app to get to work

6. travva

travva Member
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    Not to be rude but........ what? Your post makes no sense at all.

7. DankyDroid

DankyDroid Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Verizon Wireless
    In a house
    Honestly I have no idea, and I can't exactly go back and look, it's gone..sorry, I know that's not much help..:eek:

8. ldougherty

ldougherty Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Yea, no prob I found it using root explorer. Not sure why I couldn't find the files via shell but its gone nonetheless.

9. eclipse0007

eclipse0007 Lurker
    None

Dec 17, 2009
    Root is on my phone but wen I go to bedttedr terminal n type in sue it says permissuon denided wat is wrong

10. rdoane

rdoane Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Bump for a great thread.

11. UnsureSherlock

None

Dec 13, 2009
    Boston
    Do you check your spelling or grammar before posting? People would help you more if we could understand you. Thankfully, I could assume what you mean. It's "su", not "sue". Follow directions to the letter, if you don't add random crap things seem to work as intended.

12. knock

knock Newbie
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    I like SUFBS as a file exlporer for my rooted Droid. It has a terminal mode and a file-tree style mode. When you first start it, the system and data directories are in read only mode and you have to mount them via two toggle buttons near the top of the screen before you can get in there and do any damage.
    The terminal is nothing more than a Unix command-line type interface. If you know your unix commands, you may want to use it, but I have not had a need yet.
    I just use the file tree mode and long-press the file I wish to manipulate and a popup menu appears with commands.

Some of you have said that it will no longer do OTA updates after rooting. Although I guess I can understand the need for this, I don't understand how this is so. Is it blocked somehow during the rooting process by one of the files we install? Such a change should be better explained in the rooting threads if this is the case. I think it is better if people understand what they are disabling when they make such changes.

If I understand correctly, I can manually re-update the firmware with an unrooted 2.0.1 file and this will un-root it and presumably re-initiate OTA updates?

Will subsequent non-rooted updates unroot the phone if installed manually?

13. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Security
    Mulberry, FL

You have a valid point on this one. It is actually explained quite well in the how-to thread... if you aren't new to things like this. Unfortunately, most posts about this are geared toward more advanced users.... it is assumed they must be advanced since they are confident enough in trying this despite the risk of bricking their phone.

The answer is like this - "It will no longer do updates" means one of two things. The first and most common meaning is "You can no longer update your phone without losing your root". Your phone absolutely will still do OTA updates... and they will kill every bit of the work you've put into rooting your phone.

The second meaning is for those who followed the directions on renaming your otacerts file. This file is responsible, in a way I haven't actually read too deeply into, for your OTAs. By renaming it, you have physically blocked any future OTAs from being delivered to your phone. This is actually a preferred step by many, since we don't want to risk losing it through a potential forced OTA we weren't prompted to accept.

14. knock

knock Newbie
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Thanks for that explanation! (+ rep) It is what I figured, but I rooted within a day of the announcement and it was not explained nearly as well. At that time the root process was still being workked out for simplicity. I'm not a total newb. I've been using computers since the times when you had to know dos and unix commands to get anything done, but OTA updates on my phone is something I really never considered because frankly, it is new. On my WM devices, I was always considerably ahead of any "released" updates, and they were never automatic.

I will look into that otacerts file. Thank you for the help.

15. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Security
    Mulberry, FL

dos... lol. I remember those days. Back when Windows 3.1 was not actually an operating system, and had to be loaded through dos.

I'm the same way about releases. I get sick of waiting for things and just start reading anything and everything I can and do it myself. I was running a rock solid stable version of Vista 64 back when everyone else was waiting for the service pack to be released because I got sick of having it crash and started reading up on modifying drivers and firmware. :D

In any event... to save you from having to look, here you go:

From your adb shell -

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /system/etc/security
    mv otacerts.zip otacerts.zip.bak
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

sync

reboot

If, at any point, you choose to go back to receiving updates, just rename otacerts.zip.bak to otacerts.zip and let it update.

16. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Keep forgetting to do this, thanks for the reminder! :)

17. thegift_curse

thegift_curse Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Student - Drexel University (Mechanical Engineerin
    Philadelphia
    Where can one go to learn all of the terminology when it comes to Linux/Terminal Emulators or what not?

I took a look at the "How to Root Your Droid" thread and didnt understand one bit of the commands being used, where can I learn what they do?

18. AllDroid

AllDroid Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Great Falls, Montana
    Great Question. I hope somebody can answer it for all of us who want to be in the know and get off the bench.

19. jsm562

jsm562 Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2009
    When typing in the following command "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3", I get the following in response and do not have write access "Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory". I am running Android 2.0.1 on a Motorola Droid. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jim

20. messenger13

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Are you forgetting /system at the end of that statement???

Should be:
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

21. atlien003

atlien003 Lurker
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Does anyone use AndExplorer? I have rooted and was browsing through AndExplorer today and it lists all apps in my system file. Could I just rename apps from there if I don't want them, instead of going through terminal?

Don't wanna brick phone by doing it this way.

22. messenger13

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know about "AndExplorer", but I have Root Explorer ... and yes, this can be done right in that app. You simply navigate to the proper folder, press the "Remount as R/W" at the top, and change the app name (from .apk to .bak or whatever), then tap "Remount as R/W" at the top. Quick and easy. But ... always be careful with this stuff. Haste makes Bricks. :D

FWIW, I tested the above with the CarDock.apk app. Worked perfectly. Then I changed it back. Tada! If AndExplorer has a mount/remount option, I'd assume you would have the same results.

23. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Security
    Mulberry, FL

I use AndExplorer and Root Explorer both. As far as I can see, AndExplorer won't let you do anything that requires root. If it does, then I haven't figured it out yet. Root Explorer is an absolutely amazing program and well worth the money, but the dev is still fighting with it trying to get it to work on any droid currently running 2.1. (That means me. :()

I would say spring for Root Explorer and don't look back.

Definitely listen to messenger13, though...

24. atlien003

atlien003 Lurker
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    So I think I'm rooted. Followed directs from Droidipedia @ Gaining root access - Droidipedia and now I have a root folder when looking at my system folders. Downloaded Terminal Emulator in market and typed su then enter to see if I had root access and heres the msg I got:

SU Request

Process #4251 (app_10082:app_10082)
    /system/bin/sh -

Wants to run:
    /system/bin/sh
    as
    root:root

Then gives me the choice whether I want to Allow/Deny. Should I Allow?

25. javapop

javapop Newbie
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Producer
    Georgia
    How much of the code has to be typed in, and is there a way to copy and paste some of the lines that involve repetitive typing? I think I see what you are doing.