1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General What if an App Requires SD Card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by booser4, Nov 23, 2011.

1. booser4

booser4 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I just noticed this last night while messing with my Incredible, and it got me thinking... How will the Galaxy Nexus handle these apps? Will they just not work unless the developer changes them?

The example I found is a game called Dungeon Defenders: Second Wave

It has to download game content before you can play it, but I got an error on my Incredible saying there wasn't enough space on the SD Card. It didn't give me an option to install the game content to the phone storage space though, so I tried one last thing. I pulled the SD Card out completely to see if it would force it to install to the phone storage, but then it just has an error and says there is no SD Card installed.

Now that alone is a bit strange to me at least, because I think any app should give you the option of installing its content to whatever storage space you want (phone or SD), but apparently it's something that exists with some apps.

Is this going to raise an issue with the Galaxy Nexus for apps that require an SD Card? This is just stupid in general for an app to require an SD Card, because my SD Card is only 2 gigs, while my phone storage is 8 gigs. Also a lot of the space on my SD Card is taken up not just by apps, but pictures, videos, etc....

Off Subject... Is there a setting to make pictures and videos go to the phone storage instead, because I just realized this last night and don't want them filling up my SD Card if apps may need to use it.

Advertisement

2. T-Keith

T-Keith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    According to what I've seen, the phone mimics an sd card for apps that store data there. You won't need to worry about where to install the app since all the storage is the same. The necessary partitions are dynamic so you can make use of all the space.

On the dinc the partitions are fixed which is why you need to install some things to the sd for space purposes. Another problem is that the emmc is really only used by a handful of HTC apps like the camera. Most other apps are not setup to take advantage of this space.

scottg96 likes this.
  3. scottg96

scottg96 Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Highland Park, IL
    T-Keith is right, the internal storage is partitioned, so the system is separated from application data, which apps can read and write to.

4. aviator

aviator Newbie
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Ohio, USA
    Yep - thats the way my Xoom worked before the SD card was enabled. Now I have two SD card partitions - an external and an internal.

Tags: