• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What if Internet disconnects while downloading OS upgrade file

SparkofGod

Lurker
Oct 21, 2014
Hey All Wonderful People! Greetings.

I need your help. Want to know what will happen if:

1. While downloading the new OS (Not installing, downloading), if internet (Wi-Fi or 3G/4G) disconnects
2. After the file is downloaded and the installation is happening, the phone turns off (for xyz reasons)

Your help is deeply appreciated.

--
Thank You Sparks

I think what he means on number 2 is that in the middle of installing the update, the phone runs out of battery. You know when applying an update, you see the Android mascot with a polygon thing spinning on his belly with the words "installing update"? That's what he meant. Running out of battery during that stage is a gamble. Your phone might get bricked, or might not. More likely it will. Kind of like what happens when you pull the plug on a PC in the middle of installing Windows.

Upvote 0
I think what he means on number 2 is that in the middle of installing the update, the phone runs out of battery. You know when applying an update, you see the Android mascot with a polygon thing spinning on his belly with the words "installing update"? That's what he meant. Running out of battery during that stage is a gamble. Your phone might get bricked, or might not. More likely it will. Kind of like what happens when you pull the plug on a PC in the middle of installing Windows.

This is exactly what I mean... I also heard from someone that I can go to Kies and update it... But what's the procedure, I wonder.

:)

Thank you folks.

Upvote 0
Exactly what ChanChan05 said... In the middle of installation if the battery drains out..

I believe some ROMs and updates will refuse to reboot and update if there's less than 30-40% battery charge remaining. Really to prevent the possibility of running out of power during the actual flashing, and the likely subsequent bricking.

Upvote 0
Yes, the thing for point 2 is not to put yourself in that position: don't try to install an update unless the phone is charged. No update is so exciting that it can't wait an hour, or even a day, until the phone is in the right state to apply the update.

As others have said, many phones won't even let you try unless you have an adequate charge. If you did manage to put yourself in this position it would depend on what was corrupted how bad the situation was: most likely the ROM (as that's the biggest bit), which you should be able to fix, though there may be data loss. If you were really unlucky and it died while updating the bootloader you would really be bricked, but as the bootloader update is very quick that would be very bad luck. But it's just not worth taking chances with this stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones