• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What if the worst happened?

What OS would you move to if Android died?

• Apple's iOS

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Microsoft's Windows Phone 7

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Meego/Bada/etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nokia's Symbian

• Stick with the XDA community for new updates and ROMs

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Keep your current phone till it died and then decide...

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Other unknown or future OS that we have yet to see...

• Go back to a plain ol' dumbphone

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

Drhyde

Android Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2009
Kokomo, Indiana
With a grain of salt, what would everyone here do if Android wasn't around tomorrow? Android is on an insane momentum and of course, everybody wants a piece of the pie. There have been a good half dozen or more lawsuits targeted at Android itself or members of the OHA. The Oracle vs. Google is likely the most potentially devastating.

While it's more than likely Android will survive, however not without hardship and payouts. What would you do if we lost them? Personally, I think I might hang around thanks to the XDA community coming up with new builds everyday (myself doing a bit of customization), but would you trade up to a new OS?

I would pick a company that is similar in philosophy of the open standards like android is. Android isn't perfect in terms of how open it is, but it is the best system out there in terms of open and choice. So basically I would choose the one that lets me, the consumer be the most free.

Upvote 0
Thats a good question. First, I dont chase phones so it would have to be on my carrier. Carrier comes first, phone 2nd.

WebOS looks nice. If that was on nice hardware I would probably go with that. WebOS and Symbian would be my choices. WP7.....if I can get rid of the hubs and have mutiple homescreens I could give them a shot. I didnt vote cuz this is a good question...lol My choice would be either stick with XDA or wait til my phone died.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones