• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What impresses you the most?

Actually it's non of the above.... There are a lot of unbranded oem devices that you can buy from strange parts of the Internet with similar looking specs....

What impresses me about the honor devices is that you have a someone building a brand selling devices. Honor will live or die by their reputation. and they are embracing the challenge.

The hardware is nice... Specs and price are great... But they also seem to want people to like them... And that's how you earn trust.

If their after sales support is half as good as their outreach team is... They deserve success. And they are definitely on my list to consider when buying new hardware...

Upvote 0
Actually it's non of the above.... There are a lot of unbranded oem devices that you can buy from strange parts of the Internet with similar looking specs....

What impresses me about the honor devices is that you have a someone building a brand selling devices. Honor will live or die by their reputation. and they are embracing the challenge.

The hardware is nice... Specs and price are great... But they also seem to want people to like them... And that's how you earn trust.

If their after sales support is half as good as their outreach team is... They deserve success. And they are definitely on my list to consider when buying new hardware...

+1 for this! When you see a budget phone in this range, it's clear that there will be some corners cut. However, it's also clear that the Honor brand doesn't want to be seen as cheap or just another budget phone, but rather recognized as the budget phone.
Solid alumi. build, beefy battery, expandable storage, and fingerprint is definitely a great value for the price tag and it should set them apart from other budget phones lacking those features. I'd really like to see the Honor brand maintaining a commitment to improving software for their users and providing good customer service. If they're able to do all of these things, then I'd really consider following them.

Upvote 0
For me the fact that it is a metal body.... I've been wanting an android with a metal body forever!!!! :( I still can't believe this...is there a catch? Will it probably be sold our for the first year and then we will have to buy from a reseller for double the price?

Also what's the difference between this and nexus 5x? Did they pick similar name on just coincidence?

Upvote 0
For me the fact that it is a metal body.... I've been wanting an android with a metal body forever!!!! :( I still can't believe this...is there a catch? Will it probably be sold our for the first year and then we will have to buy from a reseller for double the price?
I really hope they have enough so there aren't major fulfillment delays like the 6P.:( Hopefully seeing that there is only a single hardware configuration and three colors it will go fairly smoothly.

Also what's the difference between this and nexus 5x? Did they pick similar name on just coincidence?
A couple of sensors, AOSP rom, and $150, give or take. I think the name is a coincidence.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I really hope they have enough so there aren't major fulfillment delays like the 6P.:( Hopefully seeing that there is only a single hardware configuration and three colors it will go fairly smoothly.

A couple of sensors, AOSP rom, and $150, give or take. I think the name is a coincidence.
Right on, ya i was reading earlier about AOSP and how they say it's the "purest form of android" - but i remember a while back they said that the nexus phones from googles give the purest form of android :S so is this even more pure?

also how do you like the launcher? i heard some people say its kinda annoying, though I guess it can always be changed.

Upvote 0
Right on, ya i was reading earlier about AOSP and how they say it's the "purest form of android" - but i remember a while back they said that the nexus phones from googles give the purest form of android :S so is this even more pure?

also how do you like the launcher? i heard some people say its kinda annoying, though I guess it can always be changed.
AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project and is what is shipped with a Nexus.

Upvote 0
AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project and is what is shipped with a Nexus.

The only difference is that pure AOSP rom's don't necessarily ship with all the Google apps (gapps). The Nexus roms include them. Some dev's use AOSP as a starting point and tweak them into something not quite "pure" Android.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
so would y'all say for a metal android phone under 500$ the honor 5x is the best choice?
Again, subjective, as what's a good phone for me may not be for the next person for very valid reasons. I will say I think this phone is well worth the $200 price tag and stacks up quite well against the competition I know of. I'd be hard pressed to justify an extra $150 for the Nexus 5X over this.

Upvote 0
I've thought about this for a little bit and the thing that impresses me most is that this is really the original Nexus premise ... bring a decent phone to the market at an affordable price. I think it defines budget class devices now as decent and workable rather than simply cheap crap. :)
Yeah i agree, i bought my nexus 4 8gb brand new for like 199$ and then the newer nexus base models have been ~$349, so imo i think the honor 5x is a good upgrade for me to get LTE and double the space i have now...that being said, my nexus 4 is still serving me quite well where as the iphone 4s i bought pretty much became unusablely slow after 1 year of ios updates. I was having some loading problems with my nexus 4, but i think its cause i was watching prawn while not in incognito mode D:

im kinda excited but also kinda feeling like i will never have not have something to buy lol, my last purchase was some pretty expensive headphones and amplifier a week ago and i thought "ok im gonna chill out for a while", but i just randomly stumbled on this page today and now i want a new cellphone :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones