• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what in the heck is going on??!!

gnosisjunky

Aug 2, 2011
Ok so a friend of mine handed me this phone to work on. This is nothing that I have ever seen before and i am at a loss how to fix this. Looking for an experienced modder/developer for this phone to help me with this.

This atrix is caught in some sort of frozen state in time. No matter what you do to this phone, if you restart it it will go back to exactly the same state every single time. You can delete every app on the phone, change every setting, do a factory reset, root, push firmware through bootloader, move apps to sd card, and none of it will stick. It's like the phone will not perform any function you tell it to do. After it restarts it goes exactly to the same state it was in. I have tried to downgrade the phone from 2.3.6 back to 2.3.5 using this...http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1539167. The process completes successfully but when the phone reboots it goes into the screen with the android standing next to the triangle with an exclamation point in it. (forget what this is called) so you have no choice but to go into recovery and clear data/reboot etc. after that it boots back to the same place. Its like there is a nandroid backup somewhere on here that it boots up to no matter what. Factory reset does nothing from either the settings in the phone or from recovery.

The only other thing I can think to do is to get an img of the stock firmware to place on the sd card and apply update from sd in recovery but i havent been able to find one.

I think this is the first time I have every wished for a phone to be bricked so i could at least do something lol. Someone please help!!!

1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .
2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT
4. Press the VOL DOWN to highlight Recovery
5. Press the VOL UP to Select Recovery
5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark
6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen
7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background.
8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the POWER Key to SELECT the option desired.
9. In this case, press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe Cache Partition is selected and press the POWER key to confirm the selection.
10. Device will perform Partition Wipe
11. The device will be back to the display BLUE Text on a Black background.
12. Select Reboot System Now.

There are other options to try in this mode. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .
2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT
4. Press the VOL DOWN to highlight Recovery
5. Press the VOL UP to Select Recovery
5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark
6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen
7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background.
8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the POWER Key to SELECT the option desired.
9. In this case, press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe Cache Partition is selected and press the POWER key to confirm the selection.
10. Device will perform Partition Wipe
11. The device will be back to the display BLUE Text on a Black background.
12. Select Reboot System Now.

There are other options to try in this mode. Hope this helps.

Thank your for the response. I have already done this. I ended up bricking the phone and then unbricking it and pushing the stock 2.3.6 firmware from motorola to the phone using this..http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1805975. Still when the phone finally booted up it still went back to the very same state. Every attempt to push the stock RUU with RSDlite failed. This is the most incredible thing I have ever seen happen to an android phone. I have exhausted every bit on knowledge i have on this phone....HALP!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones