• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is ‘forest’

It's a Samsung process, so I can imagine it being an app you can only launch from the system settings and so appears as a system setting even if implemented separately.

I've never seen any sign of it on my s21, but I could imagine that it's been replaced by that POS "Digital Wellbeing" (which you can't disable, can't stop because it restarts immediately, and uses power even if you've turned off its access to everything so it actually has nothing to do).

Upvote 0
Since the days of TouchWiz, Samsung has always had a sort of nature aesthetic to their phones, and still clings to this with their famous Over the Horizon ringtone. It's one of those little nuances that sold Samsung phones to me over the years since nature and skeuomorphism were my two favorites. Forest is probably just another remnant of the TouchWiz Nature UX era, like Over the Horizon. It means nothing so don't worry about it.

Many apps have weird names as part of their APK entry, which displays similary in apps manager. If you want to see weird, Facebook's full name has 'Katana' in it, even though the app has nothing to do with swords.

The only time I worry about an app is when the entry has some instance of 'cheetah' in it. Such as 'com.cheetah.batterydoctor.apk' Cheetah Mobile is infamous for being malware and gathering data they have no right to access.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones