1. Android Forums is going down for maintenance at 6:00PM Central time. We apologize for any inconvenience! Shouldn't be down too long.
  2. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General What is A Good Reading App

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tryck02, Nov 7, 2010.

1. tryck02

tryck02 Active Member

Jun 13, 2010
    As i gracefully age,my reading vision crashes and burns:mad: I get tired of always trying to remember to bring my glasses(another age thing)
    So i am looking for a good app that i could use to help me read.I looked around the market and online some but couldn't find anything.Iphone has something but i have a real phone.:D
    Any ideres or recommendations?

Advertisement

2. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Check out Aldiko. It's probably the best all round reader if you buy books without DRM or know how to remove it (I've also heard DRM support is coming). Alternatively, there are Kindle and Nook apps if you want to read their books directly.

3. tryck02

tryck02 Active Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks but doesn't appear to be what i am looking for.I need an app that will let me use my phone as reading glasses like magnification.Would be through the camera I'd guess.
    I would like this app not to read online books but for things like being at a grocery store and trying to read a label because i forgot my glasses or at a restaurant trying to read a menu.

4. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Seeking employment
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Isn't the screen on the Incredible a little too small to read a book?

5. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I use Aldiko!

6. taizzle70

taizzle70 Active Member

May 3, 2010
    How about using the camera app itself and zoom in?

7. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    IT god
    B'more
    You want to use the phone as a MAGNIFIER.

hmm, Not sure, I've seen a app designed specifically for that.

Like the other poster said you try the built in camera app..

your main problem is going to be the incredible's camera isn't really designed for taking "macro" pictures, your going to have trouble holding it steady enough for it to focus.

8. Tex_Norseman

Tex_Norseman Active Member

May 25, 2010

Not for me it isn't!

9. shickie06

shickie06 New Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I used Aldiko but need more selection, newer books would be nice too. Any other readers? Would prefer free, but if i have to start buying books i guess that's what I'll have to do.

10. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Have you tried the Baen Free Library? They offer backlist SFF books that are free and perfectly legal. You can add them as a catalog following the instructions on their site for iPhone (By the way, there is no particular reason for your sources of books to be tied to the reading app you use, once you learn to sideload and do format conversions).

About all I can suggest as a magnifier is to zoom in with the built-in camera, as already suggested.

PS. The Incredible is a great e-reading device!