1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

what IS a radio?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yagz, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Yagz

Yagz Newbie

I'm sorry if this is explained somewhere, but I really am quite confused...

I run a Rooted Desire with a MIUI custom rom, but nothing else super special about it.

I keep reading about Radios, and how they determine the wireless connection between you and your carrier, but I don't see the point in installing new ones?

I suppose my question is, does installing new radios improve reception? Mobile Internet?
    Or is it just something that you have to install with certain roms?
    Again, sorry if this is a silly question
    :cool:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

It's the firmware that runs the radio frequency portion of the phone. Changes in code can effect the way it performs, good or bad. Newer code that has improvements can help with connectivity and efficiency.

3. saltire

saltire Android Expert

Best advice is if radio works fine just leave it alone. Some ROMs recommend certain radios but unless you have a really old one unlikely you need to change it. Sometimes debateable whether newer radios have any benefits, having said that I recently flashed latest radio from the toolbox and i do think its improved my connection ;).

Flashing radios (and hboots) are riskiest things to do with your phone - if there's a problem and you get a radio brick there's no way back.

4. Yagz

Yagz Newbie

ohokay, thank you both:)
    I think I'll just leave it be for now :)

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews