• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is accessing my mic or camera?

RVDowning

Dec 8, 2012
I have a bright green icon at the top center of my phone which I understand to mean that something is accessing my microphone or my camera. But, I have no idea how to find out what it is. Tapping on it does nothing, and swiping it down just brings up my usual list of things such as Sound, Airplane mode, Auto Rotate, etc, etc. How do I find what it causing that icon to light up, and to turn it off?

I turned off the microphone access, and even marked "Don't allow" for Google, but it still shows Google has permission "while using the app." Google is the only app listed under Microphone. For Camera it says "No apps have used this permission." Yet the light it still on. My last Android upgrade was Nov 1, and supposedly that is when this feature was introduced as a security enhancement. However, the light has only turned on and refused to turn off starting today. I have rebooted the phone and it made no difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones