1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What is an "average user"?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Soundteq, May 4, 2012.

1. Soundteq

Soundteq Member
    None

May 1, 2012
    For a while I always considered an "average/casual Android user" to be somebody who limited their phone activity to calling, texting, browsing the web, the occasionally market place game, and a few random apps.

But after talking to some people I'm starting to see people are using their phones for a lot more than I would have expected them to. I've got a few friends who aren't very smart when it comes to phones (and some who aren't smart when it comes to much of anything, to be completely honest >.>), yet they're all doing things like rooting and tethering, taking more extensive means to change the way their phone looks, and such.

Maybe I'm just behind on what people are doing, because I remember a time when the vast majority of people definitely didn't seem to even think about the potential of their devices, let alone begin to try to tap into it. But now it seems like much more people are doing it.

So I guess you see what I'm asking. What type of person do you think the "average user" is in terms of phone/android knowledge and skill (If that's the right word haha)?

Advertisement

2. wxman2003

wxman2003 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    It depends on age IMO. People under 30 are generally more tech savy, simply because mobile phones have always been a part of their life and feel more at ease rooting, etc. People over 40, because of family commitments, careers, etc are probably not going to root their phones, because they simply don't have the time or interest.

3. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    An average user is someone who has a non rooted android phone with all the basics and how it came out of the box and have limited access to parts of the phone so that this way nobody would accidentally mess there device up and put's regular apps on it and such and hasn't rooted it or acquired super user access to it. A super user is a person who has rooted there phone and has full access to the phone and can completely change and remove there OS and has access to various parts of the phone they normally didn't have access to before root. They also have access to super user (root) apps like clockwork mod and ROM manager.

someone3974 likes this.