1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support what is best book for Smart Phone n00b?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by PerT, Dec 20, 2014.

1. PerT

PerT Lurker
    None

Dec 20, 2014
    Male
    I've got a Note 3 and this is my first ever Smart Phone, and so far I can't even get email to work.

Any Beginner Level books you'd recommend?

I'm somewhat computer literate and have taken C++, and various CAD, etc.

Advertisement

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    There's plenty of books on app development, mobile web development, phone repair, etc. And iPhone. I couldn't find much for a beginner Android owner. There's this:

http://www.amazon.com/Android-Phones-For-Dummies-Gookin/dp/1118169522

But AFAIK the best smartphone beginner's book is actually your user manual. Learn all you can from that, then post back here with specific questions.

Now, for starters, what's up with your email? We need some basic info to help, like your email provider (Gmail? Yahoo? Other?) any error messages - anything you think might help us to help you.

Mikestony likes this.
  3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
  4. PerT

PerT Lurker
    None

Dec 20, 2014
    Male
    some old Gmail address shows up somewhere but I can't find it now. I think it was entered by the store staff when they searched my name and turned on my phone or something.

I entered my normal NetZero email on the phone for "inbox" but when I hit "load more messages" I've never gotten a single "message" or email.

Google is working OK. Maps and Nav work nice.

5. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Ok, here's what I would do in your shoes...
    The store did you wrong when they entered a Gmail address that is not yours. Your phone was registered to that Google account.

I assume since you just go the phone you haven't installed lotsa apps, taken bunches of photos, etc. So I would do a factory reset, which puts the phone back to out-of-the-box condition and gives you a fresh start. It just takes pushing a combination of the power and volume buttons. It varies by device but the user manual will have it. Then before doing anything else with the phone get a Google account (aka Gmail address) from here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56256?hl=en

There's some links to basic questions on the page. When ready just click on 'Create an account'. You do not have to use this account for email unless you want, but you need a Google account to setup the phone to use the Play Store for apps, music, etc. You should save your contacts to your Google account for online backup and easy restoration when you change phones. Your Google account will also keep track of apps you install and restore them, some settings, etc. Very handy and might save your butt.

Your phone has 2 email apps installed - a Gmail app and a standard email app. If your phone has the newest version Gmail app it will handle any email account. If it has the older version Gmail app, that is Gmail-capable only. I don't know which version you have, but you may be able to update it in the Play Store, if not now then soon. However, the standard email app will handle any email account, Gmail or not.

Either email app will automatically configure your Gmail account. Unfortunately, Netzero is still stuck in the last century and does not offer IMAP email service, only POP3, so you will have to enter the configuration for that account manually. Netzero's instructions are here:

http://help.netzero.net/support/webmail/mobile/droid.html

Hope this helps a little. Post back here with questions.