1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What is causing lag/jerkiness 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by balloonshark, Jan 24, 2013.

1. balloonshark

balloonshark Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    I updated to 4.2.1 right before I rooted my N7. Ever since I've been getting an off and on jerky movement when flipping through home pages, when playing games, etc. My battery also sucked up 5% in sleep mode overnight with wifi on. Over half of my RAM and cpu is free and it is still jerky.

I have Elixer2 installed but I'm not sure if that is what I need to determine what is causing the issue. I also have a hunch that it is something using my wifi. Can you please recommend an app to see what causing the issue?

Edit: If I disable wifi, shutdown and then restart the N7 everything is fine.

Advertisement

2. Netcat

Netcat Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    San Jose, California
    It could be that the rooting of your device is the cause of the jerky movement. You never know whats REALLY in those home made ROMS. Some are good and slick and some cause problems.

ANYWAY, I saw this on an internet video somewhere regarding the Nexus 7. It seems that the "Currents" app is syncing in the background all the time and that can cause the N7 to stutter once in a while.

Open your app drawer and select "Currents", go to menu/settings/background sync and turn off the background sync. See if this helps.

Del1701 and balloonshark like this.
  3. balloonshark

balloonshark Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm not using a custom ROM. I'm using JB 4.2.1. I have disabled Currents background sync and I'm not using anything related to Google except for Play Store, Play Music and Voice.

I've installed GSam battery monitor but its results won't help me until I recharge the N7. I really need something to monitor wifi usage though.

4. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    Technology Consultant Software + Hardware engineer
    Newport RI
    I find that whenever I see slow downs there are apps loaded like maps, play store, play magazines, and currents running often without me having started or used them.

balloonshark likes this.
  5. balloonshark

balloonshark Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm thinking this is my problem as I've seen the play store and music using resources and wifi. I wonder if the Play store is updating apps and checking for licenses? I really don't have that many apps and they all have came from the Play store or Amazon. The only paid apps I have are from Amazon but I got them through the free app of the day. If I remember right one or two did need a permission to check Play for license info. On the other hand, I have no idea why Music would be running or calling home. I only have my personal mp3s in Music that have nothing to do with Google. Not sure I have even opened Music in a couple of weeks.

Is there a way to deal with un-needed Google apps?

6. JanComputerman

None

Jul 30, 2012
    Newport RI
    I just pull down the right menu, settings, apps, running tab - tap each and shut them down! Seems to do the trick and like today I had to do it several times during the day while watching YouTube videos.

7. balloonshark

balloonshark Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    Is it safe to stop running apps that way?

8. JanComputerman

None

Jul 30, 2012
    Newport RI
    Be the ALPHA USER and just shut it DOWN! If you didn't run it then why let it slow down your tablet and waste YOUR life! Sure it will complain about being shut down but it often has no business running in the first place!

9. balloonshark

balloonshark Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks. I was just worried about data corruption. I was thinking about the task manager in Windows.