1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General What is CM7 and do I need it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dodgeaj02, Dec 6, 2011.

1. dodgeaj02

dodgeaj02 Newbie
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    I just ordered a Triumph and am trying to learn everything I'll need to know. After reading some threads it seems like most of you have CM7 on your phones. Well....being as tech-savvy as a horse's turd, what is CM7? Do I need it to get the most out of my phone? How do I install it onto my phone? Please...imagine you are explaining this to a 5 year old (at least for the actual installation part). Thank you!!

Advertisement

2. alaskn81

alaskn81 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Washington
  3. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    CM7 is a version of Android 2.3 gingerbread.
    There are guides in the All things root section here that can help you step by step if you want to. By no means is it necessary, but it is much nicer than the stock OS.

NINJA'd BY ALASKN81!!!!!!!

4. alaskn81

None

Jul 16, 2011
    Washington
    haha, well I did give him the link to your guide!

5. agentc13

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    Good response, I am just slow.

6. dodgeaj02

dodgeaj02 Newbie
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    Can CM7 actually damage my phone as it says in the article?

7. alaskn81

None

Jul 16, 2011
    Washington
    Those are standard disclaimers you will see with any ROM, just follow the steps in the guide and make backups. In the "all things root" section you can see there is a thread for CM7. Of course with any electronics there is a failure rate, but I don't see any big number of people using custom ROM's with problems.

dodgeaj02 likes this.
  8. agentc13

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    It is also pretty easy to fix any software issues you might have if you run into problems. If you overclock and mes sup your processor or otherwise mess up your hardware you would be out of luck.

9. emagineit

emagineit Lurker
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    Don't feel like a turd man.I'm an Electronics and communication engineer myself(not saying I'm a big shot for that but my point is I have an intention to find interest in these stuffs) and lemme ensure you I'm no good here more than you.I've actually never had given Android customization much attention untill day before yesterday and signed up here..
    It's amazing to see how people like you and me here in this forum have gained expertise in such complex things..you would be amazed to see how knowledgeable your forum buddies are and that would give you a sigh of relief that someday you would also reach that point as it's sure not a rocket science otherwise we would be surrounded by rocket scientists...at least I'm a bit relaxed now after realizing it...may be that's the beauty of open source.:)

Now I can understand your feeling and lemme describe what all this CM thing is going on here in as much simple language as possible.I'm assuming you have a basic knowledge of how a computer works.

Your smartphone is just like your computer with hardware components like processor,RAM,disk space etc.Now to run it you need an OS.In computer you can use Windows or Linux.Windows is closed source and thus you need to rely on Microsoft for a new version like XP then Vista and WIn 7..etc etc.
    Onj the other hand you can use Linux.Now Linux being open source..you have different version of Linux developed by different people like Ubuntu,Fedora,CentOS etc.They are all Linux and you can install any of them in your PC.
    Now above example can be used in smartphone world where iOS is like windows where Apple released IOS 4 ,IOS5 etc and Android is like Linux.It is open source so you can take it..modify and create a new version of it and can call it anything.
    So many people are taking raw Android as base,modifying that for a bit for good and releasing under a new name.CM is such a modified version of Android and it is called Cynaogenmod.Like android has its own series like 2.2 froyo,2.3 Gingerbread...CM also has it's own series like CM7..CM9 etc.
    CM7 is based on android Gingerbread.
    So installing CM7 in your device means you are completing wiping your existing OS and installing a different OS.

Why you should do or may consider doing so?
    your triumph is using Android 2.2 but you may prefer to have facilities porvided by 2.3.4 or up like integrated Google Voice talk but you are stuck wondering when Virgin or Motorola may do that and they may never.But if you switch to CM7 then it being based on latest version on Android you can enjoy that,also you can remove the bloatware installed by carrier,enable wifi tethering etc.[Refer other forum posts]

Note:You may wonder what is xyz edition on earth then.In simple terms...the OS should be able to talk to your device hardware with all it's drivers etc.CM7 out of the box may not work properly on your device so a nice guy comes in and make that compatible with ur device and call it xyz edition.

Few things now:
    Now that you have decided to go ahead and do the dirty things.You need to Root your phone first.

Rooting:What is that and why?In your unaltered phone you are like a normal user in PC and NOT the ADMINISTRATOR.As you know to do critical stuffs in your PC you need administrator privilege.Rooting is nothing but taking the admin right of your OS so you can do stuffs.Rooting actually thus is your first step and after doing this only everything else starts.

Is it legal?
    Absolutely.It's your device and you have paid for it.You have all the legal rights to own the admin right.

Why then it voids the warranty?
    As an administrator no guaranty you would do the good stuffs only,you can run some harmful commands which can destroy your device which otherwise would not run if you were a normal user.Device manufacturers can't take the chance.

By the way,I'm hearing about Kernel..what the heck is it?
    Kernel sits in between your OS and hardware and talks to hardware in 'hard' way and make hardware changes happen.Like CPU Clock frequency etc.So you can see by altering it you can actually tell your hardware to run faster or slower.
    You can use it to overclock your phone to output more power.Like you can make your 1 Ghz processor run at 1.4Ghz

Why OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) didn't do it in the first place then?
    They set the clock at the speed where it would produce most stable result under all circumstances.So you get the point here..overclocking may reduce your CPU life or damage the phone BUT..OEM usually play supersafe in this regard so usually you have a buffer...so in my unofficial opinion though you should not clock it to 1.9 but setting it to 1.2 may not hurt much..

Hope this helps a bit.Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.
    PS:To all smart people out there > please don't bully me here for such a non technical writing..I've tried to keep it most simple considering for a person with no tech knowledge..this is not official or in any way technical reference to any of the topics covered..so please don't shout and kindly rectify my faults so I can learn something from you great people out there..I'm trying to understand this ecosystem.

tmac1515, xman95, kishke and 2 others like this.