• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories What Is Everyone Doing For Your Micro SD Upgrade

In the .pdf user manual I downloaded from samsung. It says the phone only supports up to 16GB sdhc cards. So how can anyone use a 32GB card. Am I missing something?
Below is a section of text taken directly from the manual.

"Important!: The , Audio Postcard, Music Player, and Video functionality is all
dependant on a mounted SD card. Your device can support SDHC
cards up to 16GB capacity."

Upvote 0
In the .pdf user manual I downloaded from samsung. It says the phone only supports up to 16GB sdhc cards. So how can anyone use a 32GB card. Am I missing something?

Yep, here is another thread on this subject: http://androidforums.com/samsung-vibrant/135308-sd-sdhc-capacity.html

Upvote 0
Is there any real reason to have a class 10 SDHC card in this phone? The videocam is gonna be the biggest bandwidth hog, but I seriously doubt it is going to benefit in any way from the overkill. My 1080p Sony cx350v NEEDS it, but the Vibrant? lol

I think there just might be a reason. lol. How about if you want to have cross platform utility for your media? Say for example you're out shooting 1080P and need an extra 32GB, it could be pulled out of the Vibrant and into your 1080P camcorder.

Certainly not everyone will want or need the fastest media for their Vibrant, for many it would be a waste of money. But for those who have other applications requiring cutting edge speed it might make sense.

Upvote 0
I plan on getting an 8gb class6 card from amazon. The brand is transcend. i know of them i just dont know how they compare to kingston or sandisk.

Though out of 390+ people it had a damn near 5 star rating.

I've never heard anything dismissive about Transcend. Kingston seems to be the one people are wary of. Sandisk is usually considered top of the line. I got this one, perhaps the one you saw as well:

Amazon.com: Transcend 8 GB microSDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS8GUSDHC6E: Electronics

Upvote 0

Again, the manual is wrong. This is the second error. Not surprising given how many versions of this phone are being produced here and abroad.

Check this post: http://androidforums.com/samsung-vibrant/165458-anyone-install-32gb-micro-sdhc-yet.html#post1507027

And:
Making the Smartphone Brilliant Samsung Vibrant? (SGH-t959) - T-Mobile Cell Phones - Cell Phones | SAMSUNG
(look under "Extensive Entertainment Package")

Upvote 0
Can't wait! The cards should be backwards compatible with our phone, but those this mean we will gain the speed benefits also, or will it downgrade the speed by default?

SD Card Association: flash card speeds to triple by 2012 -- Engadget

I wouldn't worry about "our phone." It might just keep up with the fastest available and anyway by 2012 the way the mobile market is changing, we very well might be moving on to a newer, faster, better device. ;)

I've seen this, me too!

Upvote 0
I did pull the card. There is nothing to the right of the SANS.

The only thing besides 2G is a microscopic part number (about a dozen digits) which I can't read.

If it doesn't have any class showing it would most likely be less than or equal to class 2. But as previously stated, your best bet is to test the card and see what kind of transfer rate you get.

Upvote 0
Reactions: w_bovine
Upvote 0
There is HD Tune: http://www.hdtune.com/ on a free trial.

Here is a link where you can find speed testing software depending on your hardware configuration:
USB.org - Tools

I've heard that Sisoft Sandra will also work but it has been years since I've used that program.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I haven't used Sandra in years either. Hmm...that last sentence could sound really bad taken out of context...

Upvote 0
Cool. Thanks for the info. I haven't used Sandra in years either. Hmm...that last sentence could sound really bad taken out of context...

lol.gif
LMAO, hadn't thought about that... I just downloaded/installed Sandra Pro and it is much more sophisticated than I remember. I think the other methods would be simpler for most.

Upvote 0
I installed HD Tune Pro v4.60 and tested the included Samsung 2GB Micro SD card and also a Kingston 16GB Class 4 Micro SD Card. Both were tested while installed in the phone. Clearly the Samsung micro SD card that comes with the phone is class 2 media. Interestingly, the burst rate tested better on the slower card.

Here are the results for the Samsung 2GB card:
09-September-2010_11-26.png

Here are the results for the Kingston 16GB Class 4 card:
09-September-2010_11-47.png

Upvote 0
I'm currently using the OG 2GB card that comes with the Vibrant. I really wanted to get a 32GB Card soon, but hooooollllyyyyy cow I didn't know they cost $200! At that price I may just get an 8GB card and call it quits for a while.

What's the cheapest 16GB card I can get that runs at a decent speed? How much faster do class 4's or class 6's run than the default card in this phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones