• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is going to happen to the Sprint NFL App on our Heros?

scottmbolt

Android Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2010
Michigan - Metro Detroit
So I just read that Verizon is now going to be the official wireless sponsor to the NFL, because they offered up 50% more money to the NFL ($720 million total). Way to go Sprint! I am a HUGE football fanatic, and I purchased my Hero at just before the Superbowl, and I looked forward to being able to use the NFL App to satisfy my sickening pro football obsession. And now what? We're all S.O.L.?

What makes it worse is that, the Sprint NFL app takes up space on our phones' hardrives ... and it cannot be deleted? Because according to (Verizon Inks $720 Million Deal with NFL, Sprint Users Go Into Mourning) ... " Sprint NFL fans, you can look forward to your beloved NFL football app to stop working by the end of March."

This is ridiculous, and its another crappy loss for Sprint, and for me personally.

Any other opinions on this matter, please discuss. Do you think in 2.1, we will be able to delete the LAME apps that Sprint has forced us to keep on our phones? Like the soon to be useless NFL Mobile Live, Nascar, and Sprint Nav? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

In theory, the first time you try to launch it on or after April 1, it will prompt you to download the new version, for the Sprint Football Live app. Unsure if the NFL branding on the icon will be removed, or what exactly will happen with it on the phones that it can't be removed from, that was part of the "more info to follow" section of the update that I've seen. :)

And I hope the "soon to be useless" was only directed at the NFL app, not NASCAR and Navi, cause I use both of those frequently. :D

Upvote 0
What makes it worse is that, the Sprint NFL app takes up space on our phones' hardrives ... and it cannot be deleted?

Do you think in 2.1, we will be able to delete the LAME apps that Sprint has forced us to keep on our phones? Like the soon to be useless NFL Mobile Live, Nascar, and Sprint Nav? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

root your phone, take the bloat off. be happy.

"Make it mine" -- just like HTC said. :p

Upvote 0
I hear we get ESPN on our phones...anyone know how to get it or use it? I don't have Sprint TV on my phone right now because I rooted it and took it off...just wondering how to use it?
Thanks!

Howdy, neighbor. :)

First off, you'd probably have to hard reset your phone to get it back on (I know when I managed to delete the NFL app it wouldn't let me re-download it), unless someone out there has another way to get it back.

I just pulled it up, and it's got the Georgetown @ WVU Men's Basketball game on, and it's about a minute behind the TV (the phone says 9:02 left in the first, the TV says 8:10 left). Side note, go Hoyas!!

Upvote 0
In theory, the first time you try to launch it on or after April 1, it will prompt you to download the new version, for the Sprint Football Live app. Unsure if the NFL branding on the icon will be removed, or what exactly will happen with it on the phones that it can't be removed from, that was part of the "more info to follow" section of the update that I've seen. :)

And I hope the "soon to be useless" was only directed at the NFL app, not NASCAR and Navi, cause I use both of those frequently. :D

Sorry, but I WAS directing that in the way you saw it. Out of all of the Sprint forced apps, I find those ones to be, Personally, the least used. All the power to you if you do use them. Fact is, Sprint isn't up on the contracts with those companies, so nothing with those will be effected. Sprint NFL was one of my favorite apps and services, and its sad that it will be gone.

Nonetheless, Sprint should let us dictate what apps we can delete, WITHOUT having to root.

Upvote 0
The sprint NFL app is crap anyway. The best App out that NFL Superfan app. You can watch all the NFL games live streamed to your phone whereever you have a signal. sprints NFL app, nor verizon will ever be able do that. Never miss any games on sunday with the NFL superfan.

I think I would rather just NOT watch it at all, than sit somewhere and hold up a 4 inch screen and try to watch it :p

I like the app because of the things I could read on it throughout the day, and highlights of other games, and the alerts. I'm just not that interested in watching full games on it from the start, because every Sunday I'm glued to my couch anyways, as well as on Monday nights (depending on the match-ups).

Upvote 0
I think I would rather just NOT watch it at all, than sit somewhere and hold up a 4 inch screen and try to watch it :p

I like the app because of the things I could read on it throughout the day, and highlights of other games, and the alerts. I'm just not that interested in watching full games on it from the start, because every Sunday I'm glued to my couch anyways, as well as on Monday nights (depending on the match-ups).

Yeah if you can be by a tv then yes, but like me when you have a preggo wifr, sometimes i have to go do stuff and i dont miss any action in the grocery store, lol

Upvote 0
Now this pisses me off. Sometimes I wonder what these companies are thinking. Didn't Sprint learn anything from DirectTV. That NFL exclusive contract gave them the edge. NFL Network was one of the only original things not Google, HTC, or Sense on the phone. The name of the game is exclusivity(is that a word?). :)

Still pissed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones