1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What is Google Services and why is it using 50% of my battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stephen65, Jul 6, 2013.

1. stephen65

stephen65 Well-Known Member

Everytime I check my battery stats Google Services is by far the biggest user. It's always around 50%.

I also don't know if that is why it takes a long time to charge the battery at night. Last night from 70% it took over three hours to charge.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ktchong

ktchong Android Enthusiast

Can't answer the first question, but have experience with the second.

Replace the OEM charger and micro USB cable. The problem may be them. I've used several Samsung chargers and cables. They all have some kinds of quality problems.

3. ironlung

ironlung Member

You can use titanium backup to freeze google play services if you happen to be rooted, and I also experienced the same problem charging until I bought a new charger, that seemed ro do the charging trick

4. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

Services are Play Store, Books, etc. Freezing/killing them will make it impossible to get apps on your phone without sideloading. You should, however be able to uninstall many Google apps you never use to reduce battery usage. The usage is probably sync, updates, etc. Turning off auto sync helps too, should be a toggle in the notification pulldown.

5. ironlung

ironlung Member

Just bc you freeze them doesn't mean that you can't unfreeze them when you need them. Jes sayin

6. stephen65

Replace them with what? I thought the aftermarket chargers were a big problem.

Only occasionally will it charge at an acceptable time. Back before the bad update it was fine. After the update both problems came up, long recharge, heavy Google Services usage. Uninstalled the update and rolled back to the previous firmware fixed the other problems except these two.

7. bluebliss

bluebliss Newbie

Replace them with another set of OEM chargers and cables. Samsung has quality control issues with their chargers; that may solve your problem.

8. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

I once did freeze Play Store and Play services on a phone that constantly had problems with them, and tried using an alternative market. Unfortunately apps I paid for through Play stopped working, or crashed due to license errors, and trying to unfreeze was unsuccessful. It would say it unfroze successfully however the Play Store icon never showed up. Ended up doing a factory reset.

9. stephen65

I went and bought a new cable from Verizon and recharge times are now at about an hour from 70% or so which I can live with. Much better than those 3 hour 45 minutes recharges with the old cable.

10. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast

Google Services is a combination of multiple activities, related to:
    Google services Framework
    Google Play Services
    Google Account Manager
    Google Contacts Sync
    Google Bookmarks Sync
    Network Location (Maps and location reporting, location history, location sharing, and number of other apps seeking regular location info)

By turning off Location Reporting and Location History, you should see instant battery improvement. Of course, if you run weather widgets, I suggest not to kill the location reporting service entirely (Setting - more - location services), instead, just turn off these settings for individual apps, like maps, g+ (and other Google aps), Facebook, etc.

As for the charging. I'm not too sure.
    Overall, Android is set to charge the battery till it reaches 100%, then the charging stops, even tho your phone is connected, to prevent over charging which could result in battery damage and decreased lifespan. Also, many services are set to perform back up while the phone is charging and idle. Whatsapp, Samsung Sync and Gallery Auto Backups, tend to run in wee hours. If you check your Samsung sync, you will notice it happens around 4am.
    So it could be a case, where phone was charging, reached 100%, stopped, but by being connected to charger and ideal, the phone start performing all the said above, resulting in battery drain and giving an impression of "slow charging".

You have great weekend ahead

regards

11. dotcomready

dotcomready Lurker

My solution was simple. I went into Google Play Services and did an uninstall updates. Version 4.4.52 was there and gave me huge battery drains. After the uninstall updates I went back down to verison 4.0.34 and the battery drain stopped. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews