• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is ICS going to mean for the masses

Something else that ICS means for me anyway...

8y3y3udu.jpg

I live in the sticks. Lol. This was NEVER possible before. I locked my Droid into 3g so I would KEEP a signal. Lol.

Who knows how long the "no data drops" will last. I'm happy it's working as it should for now, anyway. :D

Upvote 0
The concern was for OTAs that come after 6.7.246.

The assertion is that if it allows you to delete the app entirely then that app is not required to be present for the next or subsequent OTA installation.

I have not seen this documented anywhere.

A list of apps that could be totally deleted would be useful. "NFL Mobile" and "Let's Golf 2" seem to be two for that list.

The prudent thing to do is to disable them and not delete them until some future word comes out saying the above assertion is correct.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Something else that ICS means for me anyway...

8y3y3udu.jpg

I live in the sticks. Lol. This was NEVER possible before. I locked my Droid into 3g so I would KEEP a signal. Lol.

Who knows how long the "no data drops" will last. I'm happy it's working as it should for now, anyway. :D
That is the big question. It depends really on if Verizon decides to do something to the network again.

Back before 902, they did a patch (think was 893) that fixed the data drop issues that the Bionic as well as all the 4G phones back then saw. Then, just as the 905 soak test went out, the data issue resurfaced. Many people blamed 905 for being the cause, but a lot of us, myself included, were still on 902 and saw the data drop issue resurface at the same time so I knew couldn't have been 905.

Unfortunately all the other 4G phones seemed to get their patch for it long ago and they put the fix in it in our ICS which of course was seriously delayed. I just really hope Verizon, if they have to make changes to the network that will affect data connectivity, will be much more timely in getting the software fix out to the customer's phones.

Upvote 0
The concern was for OTAs that come after 6.7.246.

The assertion is that if it allows you to delete the app entirely then that app is not required to be present for the next or subsequent OTA installation.

I have not seen this documented anywhere.

A list of apps that could be totally deleted would be useful. "NFL Mobile" and "Let's Golf 2" seem to be two for that list.

The prudent thing to do is to disable them and not delete them until some future word comes out saying the above assertion is correct.

... Thom
Well, I had uninstalled Let's Golf 2 when I got my Bionic, and then uninstalled Let's Golf 3 when it was put on with either 893 or 902. Not having it didn't affect the upgrade at all. Can't see them making an uninstallable app be required for an upgrade when they make the other bloatware not able to be uninstalled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones