• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root what is ilivid?

That would be great, if I knew how to do it.
I did a search on nandroid backup, and it sounds like the way to go. I did not look for the feature when I was in recovery mode, is it there?
Yup, the option to back up is in recovery. The backup, called a nandroid backup, is basically a snapshot of your phones current state.
Kind of like a game save point, or a computer restore point. If anything starts to act really wonky and cannot be fixed, or you end up in a bootloop for some reason, you can restore that backup from within recovery.
Be sure to save at least one copy on your computer and also have at least one on your sd card:)

See post 2 in the guide:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

Upvote 0
for future devices that you root...make sure to get a custom recovery.....for me the main reason would always be to make nandroid backups. they are a very helpful tool and will save you more times then not. the next reason would be to flash custom roms.....and this holds true to any rooted device.

please make it a habit to make nandroid backups whenever you try and make changes to your phone.....at least keep doing it, until you feel comfortable with the whole rooting business.

Upvote 0
Got it. Wish I knew that this morning when I had all the apps loaded into stock 2.3.5 Gingerbread. Oh well. The day I stop learning is the day I stop living.
Couple of questions: Why would I want to partition my 32 GB SD card? It said to format as FAT. Why not FAT 32? How large should each partition be? What goes on the partition?
I am using superwipe, if that makes a difference.

Using Strike (ICS) I can get to the google store but no apps download. Is there something I am missing? This is the last piece of the puzzle for Strike; it would be nice if I could get it resolved.

Upvote 0
Got it. Wish I knew that this morning when I had all the apps loaded into stock 2.3.5 Gingerbread. Oh well. The day I stop learning is the day I stop living.
Couple of questions: Why would I want to partition my 32 GB SD card? It said to format as FAT. Why not FAT 32? How large should each partition be? What goes on the partition?
I am using superwipe, if that makes a difference.

Using Strike (ICS) I can get to the google store but no apps download. Is there something I am missing? This is the last piece of the puzzle for Strike; it would be nice if I could get it resolved.

well you have only 500mb of memory which is not much to an app whore like me:eek: so in order to bypass this short commings on the phone, some awesome devs figured out a way to fully transfer the apps to the sd card.

the revised dummies guide goes into more details about it and how to do it. it is fat 32 not sure where it says just fat.

and do not just rely on superwipe to wipe for you.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
for future devices that you root...make sure to get a custom recovery.....for me the main reason would always be to make nandroid backups. they are a very helpful tool and will save you more times then not. the next reason would be to flash custom roms.....and this holds true to any rooted device.

please make it a habit to make nandroid backups whenever you try and make changes to your phone.....at least keep doing it, until you feel comfortable with the whole rooting business.
Absolutely. I am no stranger to the process, having done it for a living for a while. It is just the Android process that I am learning. Thanks.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
well you have only 500mb of memory which is not much to an app whore like me:eek: so in order to bypass this short commings on the phone, some awesome devs figured out a way to fully transfer the apps to the sd card.

the revised dummies guide goes into more details about it and how to do it. it is fat 32 not sure where it says just fat.

and do not just rely on superwipe to wipe for you.
LOL. I already removed dictionary.com because it would not move its 140MB lard azz to my SD card. Once I resolve the google store issue, is there another app that will force it (and others) to my SD card? I may not be an app whore, but I might be an app slut. ;)
What else should I do besides superwipe?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
LOL. I already removed dictionary.com because it would not move its 140MB lard azz to my SD card. Once I resolve the google store issue, is there another app that will force it (and others) to my SD card? I may not be an app whore, but I might be an app slut. ;)
What else should I do besides superwipe?

app slut:rofl:
the only way to get it to your sd card is to partition it or if the rom you are on is compatible with darktremmors then you can command the apps to move to the sd card after you flash the script.

as far as flashing roms you should wipe dalvik cache, cache, and system then flash superwipe then flash the rom. please read the guide second post for all the after root info.

Upvote 0
AFA partitioning a 32 GB card, how large should each partition be, and what goes (automatically and manually) on each partition?
Step 3 says FAT, I assume FAT 32.
Thanks.

When I partitioned my card, I used 0 for swap, 2048 for ext-2 and the rest for FAT (yes, FAT 32)

Just remember, partitioning will wipe your card...so be sure to backup anything on the card ;)
I wouldn't bother with upgrading ext3 to ext4...just do the step 4--upgrade ext 2 to ext3

Upvote 0
(Captain Beyond, early 70's band)
Well, following the Revised Rooting guide, tried Nandroid backup. Ran about an hour, never completed. Second attempt also failed.
Again using the guide, partitioned the card. Took two attempts, then selected repair. Returned O.K.
Wiped all the areas per the guide, reloaded Strike, Android 4.04 ICS.
Tried Nandroid backup again, failed again.
Sigh.
Tried downloading the Android emulator from the store, reported it would download soon, but never happened. So unable to run a2sd to move apps.
On the plus side, the store works, so I can download apps when all is well.
And I have a phone that can make calls, surf the web, and download apps.

Upvote 0
How do I determine this? If it helps, I followed the HTC Dev instructions.

Well, if you follow the instructions, you should have AmonRa.
It should also say that at the bottom of the recovery screen...

So as of now, you have issues making a nandroid and using Terminal Emulator to move apps to the sd card correct?
I believe to move apps to the sd card, is dependant on the kernel if I'm not mistaken....I've got to research that :)

Upvote 0
Yes, Nandroid does not work.
Apparently the emulator depends on the OS. Moved from my W7 64 bit OS desktop to my W7 32 bit laptop and it loaded.On the plus side, I am becoming quite adept at removing the Otterbox cover. :eek:

This app for Terminal Emulator ?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en
from the PlayStore?

Not sure what you mean by "depends on the OS"?
You can download it from the PlayStore on the device :thinking:
It has nothing to do with the computer OS ????:thinking:

Upvote 0
Did not d/l with W7 64 bit. Did d/l with W7 32 bit. Not sure why, just an observation.
I may be getting a little off topic, and I am sorry but I am confused.
The Terminal Emulator app in the PlayStore....you downloaded it to the computer???? :eek:

Back to the nandroid backup....I'm curious if you have another sd card laying around to try. If so, format it via the computer (obviously if there is anything on there you need, be sure to save it :eek: )
Power off the phone, remove the current sd card, insert the spare sd card, boot into recovery and try to make a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
I may be getting a little off topic, and I am sorry but I am confused.
The Terminal Emulator app in the PlayStore....you downloaded it to the computer???? :eek:

Back to the nandroid backup....I'm curious if you have another sd card laying around to try. If so, format it via the computer (obviously if there is anything on there you need, be sure to save it :eek: )
Power off the phone, remove the current sd card, insert the spare sd card, boot into recovery and try to make a nandroid backup.
At the time I was having trouble d/l using the phone, so I would connect the phone to th computer, but not mount the SD card. D/l several apps that way. The terminal app link would report that it was compatible and appeared to d/l, but did not. Connected the same way to my laptop and it truly downloaded to the phone. I no longer use the computer, as I can d/l straight to the phone now.

I only have the one card, but was looking at this one in 32GB capacity, or this one in 16GB capacity. What do you think?

Upvote 0
from here?http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

yeah, if you followed from my guide then you have amon ra.

what did you select to backup when you made a nandroid backup?
I have bootloader 1.8, so I use the revised guide. I have AmonRA 2.3.
The other day I just used the default 3. This morning I tried again. I also selected wimax and sd.ext, just as the guide stated. Watched the clock; after an hour of watching the dots I pulled the battery and went back to the Android app.
Running Strike, which is Android 4.04, ICS. IIRC, I also tried with Android 2.3.5 (stock), which I pulled from a link on this forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones