• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what is in the firmware update

I installed the update on my open (no contract) S5 (Model # SM-G900H) and the results were nothing less than spectacular. I have had my S5 for about 3 weeks and have experienced a continuous very hot phone, and a battery life of less than 10 hours when the phone was asleep and totally not being used.

Since the update, which loaded yesterday, the phone is now running cool and after 8 hours today which included quite a bit of phone usage, the battery is still at 71%.

YES!!!!

Two days ago I would have been at 10-20% with NO phone USAGE!

For me, at least, this has been a remarkable and much appreciated update. :)

Upvote 0
I acquired my S5 about 3 weeks ago, and from the beginning I have had serious problems with a very hot phone, battery life that decayed about 10-15% per hour, even when the phone was idle and unused the whole time.

One day the (idle) phone got very hot and the battery ran down to zero in less than 5 hours.

When KitKat 4.4.2 was installed yesterday, everything turned around. The phone is running totally cool and the battery now falls at most a few percent each hour when the phone is idle. Today I have used it quite a bit and after 8 hours the battery level is still up at 71%.

YES !!! [:)}

My phone is an open (no contract) model SM-G900H running on AT&T, and it sure has benefited. BIG TIME!

;-)

Upvote 0
When KitKat 4.4.2 was installed yesterday, everything turned around. The phone is running totally cool and the battery now falls at most a few percent each hour when the phone is idle. Today I have used it quite a bit and after 8 hours the battery level is still up at 71%.
;-)

I believed that the S5 shipped with 4.4.2. There is an update rolling out. I think the firmware will change but the version will remain 4.4.2.

Upvote 0
Strangely enough ive just been in a meeting at work and my S5 was in my pocket. I actually felt the heat on my chest , took the phone out of my pocket and everything was like one of those pocket warmers.There`s no chance that this is normal....and on idle with everything switched off.
Ive only had the phone a week and im seriously considering putting it on ebay and keeping my S3.
On the weekend my battery went from 100% to 60% overnight and the day after 100% to shut down in 6 hours.
Ive just got home from work and a new high power battery (4350 mah) was in the post ( ebay ) Shouldn't have to resort to this with a brand new phone.
Battery doctor and Advanced task killer already installed and all non essentials already disabled.
ANY HELP APPRECIATED THANK YOU.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones