• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is keeping my handset awake?

I didn't realize something in my initial configurations might have an impact...so I did another factory restore and this time made sure to uncheck the setup options to:

1) allow googles location service to collect anon location data. colection will occur even when no apps are running
2) use my location for google searches and other google services
3) allow HTC to collect and use anon info as described in the Tell HTC Privacy statement

I found it amusing that as extremely responsive as this phone is, the only time I have seen it not be responsive was when trying to uncheck those checkboxes. I mean, it took nearly a minute to uncheck each checkbox, the screen just didn't seem to detect my finger unchecking the setting. Is that HTC's way of discouraging us from turning them off? Lol!

Anyways, end result was the phone STILL will not sleep (up time always = awake time). This is not normal, right? How is anybody's phone ever supposed to sleep if it won't sleep as straight after a fresh reset???

Upvote 0
No that is not normal.

Right now I have 25:40:52 of Up Time and 2:17:53 of Awake Time.

If after a Hard Reset and with no apps installed you have the same Up Time as Awake Time, I would look at the following stuff:

1. Access Google (TALK), go to Menu, then settings and uncheck all items, and once done with that, go to Menu and Settings while still in Google (TALK) and choose Sign Out.

2. Back at your Home Screen, go to Menu and settings, then Accounts & Sync. Ensure that Weather and Stocks etc., basically anyting on that screen is setup to NOT sync, Especially HTC Sense! You can turn stuff back on one at a time to determine which one is causing the awake time issue.

3. While still in settings, go to Privacy and ensure you have Backup My Settings Unchecked.

4. While still in settings, to Power and uncheck Enable Power Efficiency, and Enable Power Saver.

5. I don't travel much, so under Settings and Date and Time, I uncheck the Automatically check for Network Time. That might not work for everyone.

That said, you still might have issues, for which I encourage to spend the $2 or so and get a market place app called Better Battery. It shows you exactly what is keeping your phone awake under the Partial Wakelock view.

Good Luck!

I didn't realize something in my initial configurations might have an impact...so I did another factory restore and this time made sure to uncheck the setup options to:

1) allow googles location service to collect anon location data. colection will occur even when no apps are running
2) use my location for google searches and other google services
3) allow HTC to collect and use anon info as described in the Tell HTC Privacy statement

I found it amusing that as extremely responsive as this phone is, the only time I have seen it not be responsive was when trying to uncheck those checkboxes. I mean, it took nearly a minute to uncheck each checkbox, the screen just didn't seem to detect my finger unchecking the setting. Is that HTC's way of discouraging us from turning them off? Lol!

Anyways, end result was the phone STILL will not sleep (up time always = awake time). This is not normal, right? How is anybody's phone ever supposed to sleep if it won't sleep as straight after a fresh reset???

Upvote 0
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm suddenly having this issue, and need some help trying to figure out what is going on (how to identify the culprit app).
My EVO 3D (CDMA - sprint) is unrooted. Been using it for almost a year now.

In the last month, I noticed an issue where on some days (maybe once in 10-15 days) my battery would drain horribly overnight (even with 3g/wifi off, and nothing set to sync at night - same as every day).

Same thing happened last night - my phone usage was VERY low yesterday (as you can see in the screen prints). But overnight, the battery dropped about 40%.

Is there any way to figure out what is causing this? (looks like betterbatterystats might help, but before spending the money on that, is there a free way of figuring this out?)

(I did have wifi on for a small part of the day yesterday - not sure why it is not showing up - maybe the percentage was too low)

New apps installed in the last month - I installed the updates for the usual google apps (maps, translate etc), along with a couple of games - cogs, osmosis.

I do restart the phone every other day when I charge it (yes, my battery usually lasts me 2 days of medium use)

Attachments

• 2012-06-07_08-20-03.jpg
    2012-06-07_08-20-03.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 2012-06-07_08-22-52.jpg
    2012-06-07_08-22-52.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 2012-06-07_08-22-56.jpg
    2012-06-07_08-22-56.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 2012-06-07_08-23-05.jpg
    2012-06-07_08-23-05.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 2012-06-07_08-23-28.jpg
    2012-06-07_08-23-28.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones