• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what is nandroid backup?

dj.GETAFIX

Sep 5, 2010
belfast
i have titanium backup, but what is nandroid and if i need to re-install both
what do each do in the way of backups??
main reason i ask is because my phone went into a boot-loop again today..
its ok now but if i need to flash the rom to get it working another time id like to have a backup of passwords and settings for email and facebook accounts to save the hasstle of putting in again..

Nandroid is the backup via clockwork recovery (say if you rooted using unrevoked for example).

From off, Vol Down + Power, select recovery with vol buttons to navigate and power to select. At red triangle press vol up + power.

Nandroid is a complete snapshot of your phone EXACTLY how it is when you take it. Always take one before you flash a new rom. Even if you cant boot to android, you can restore this from recovery.

If you have to wipe before installing a new rom, titanium will rstore apps and settings.

Reactions: dj.GETAFIX
Upvote 0
in clockworkmod recovery i did a backup... is this the same??
Yes, the "backup" in clockworkmod recovery is a nandroid backup (the first 7 words of danfrance's post :)). If you watch while it's going on you should see the word "nandroid" on the screen somewhere.

The backup files are written to a folder in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup, if you want to check that it's there - you should see a folder named after the date/time you performed the backup, and containing a number of img files (some of them quite large).

(I'm using clockworkmod 2.5.0.7, and information above is correct for my Device - I simply assume it's not very different with other versions)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones