• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root what is rooting a phone? and why do you do it?

Rooting a phone allows you to access and modify every last thing that makes up your phone. Specifically for the Acclaim, you'd be able to delete the default apps that come with the phone, as well as load custom ROMs, which can drastically change the way the phone looks and preforms. It should be noted that since the Acclaim is such a low-end smartphone, it's unlucky a rooting guide will be posted ever.

Upvote 0
Ouch. But I suppose it is entry level.

Android is a smartphone derivative of the Linux operating system, and root is to Linux what Administrator is to Windows. On most Windows machines, you use the administrator account, though Vista and 7 work a little differently. On Linux, you create a root password, and then you make at least one other account, during setup, and that's what you use. In Linux, you can "elevate" your privileges temporarily (become "root" for a while) to perform administrative tasks.

"Rooting" your phone is the process of becoming root. When you use an Android phone, you use it as a limited user. Linux is far more secure than Windows but must be used properly. Android is less secure, but it's locked down by protecting root.

The ROMs basically contain the operating system (Android/2.1/Eclair or Android/2.2/Froyo). Since Linux and Android are open source, anybody can go get the source for either version and modify it. If you can root your phone, you can load these custom modules.

I think the likelihood of the Acclaim being rooted isn't the capacity of the phone, it's the fact that it's exclusive to US Cellular, a regional carrier that hasn't got nearly as many subscribers as Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile. And since such a low percentage are tinkerers, well, that's far fewer tinkerers with Acclaims. I'm sure it'll happen eventually. Just not as soon as a Verizon or AT&T phone.

But that's fine, there are many security issues associated with rooting your phone. Read up on them and then ask yourself if it's worth it. Read the posts by rasmith3530 in this topic for more information.

Upvote 0
Rooting is a process that allows users of cellphones running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's Linux subsystem, similar to jailbreaking on Apple devices running the iOS operating system, overcoming limitations that the carriers and manufacturers put on such phones. Rooting makes it possible to use custom versions of the Android system such as CyanogenMod, supporting features unavailable in stock ROMs.

Upvote 0
Looks like I was way off on the rooting claim. I'm definitely glad people took the time to develop a rooting guide as well as custom recovery, etc.

I do still think the Acclaim is a low-end smart phone, though. If you use your phone for more than calling/texting, you'll notice it doesn't even come close to the Desire and other high-end smart phones performance and appearance wise. (HTC Incredible, Motorola Droid, Droid X, etc.) I do enjoy the acclaim, but I absolutely regret not getting the Desire or the new Samsung U.S. Cellular has.

Oh, and VeryJoyful, trust me...it's not fun putting down $100 on a cell phone, but the HTC Desire and similar smart phones go for $200. In fact the Acclaim can be picked up for $79 right now, which isn't bad at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones