• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is rooting? And why?

Don't worry, I was miffed about this for months before I finally did some research on the subject.

When you buy a laptop (or any computer), you are the super user, which they refer to as the administrator. That means you have control over what programs can be added and deleted from that computer. You can set up guest accounts on your computer so that other people may use it, but they have very limited control over what goes on with it.

When you purchase most Android devices (except for Nexus), you are the guest account on the phone, you have very little control over what can be removed (basically nothing that you yourself didn't add). When you root your Android you gain super user (or administrative) status.

Which means, now you're in the drivers seat!

Reactions: old.blue
Upvote 0
Thats one way to put it but incorrect, in simple term root is your permission base structure. All the permission on local host are granted from root (uID0:root). SU is actually Switch User which is vairent and misunderstood as Super User but it applies due to not manually doing SUDO. Always trust *nix guy :p

Trust me, he'll understand the language I used easier.

Lmao. :D

Upvote 0
I know LOL I am not doubting that but I had to correct you as being *nix mastaaa (had Sr Unix Admin on my W2 once :p). I seen people rooting device lol then asking question whats next, seen so many of those type of threads user is like "now what" so we say why did you root if you didn't have reason. LOL people are like "I thought its something you do after you get your phone" its shocking :O

Here I am troubleshooting this custom kernel and had to manully install clockworkmod 3.0.0.0 via console with flash image and recovery and still can't get the dev.htc kernel to work. Might look into it later I feel sleepy from all those wipe cache, davliks... flashed rom like 50times just to test this.

Upvote 0
Yeah I still rememeber when I thought rooting sped up the phone, got rid of all the bugs, and cooked super for you all at the same time.

While I admit you know way more about all the specifics, what you said didn't even compute in my little brain, and I've been rooted for 6 months! Lol... I just try to explain in laymans terms what the practicality of rooting is (for most of us anyway), which is to 86 some of those pesky programs and apps they don't want, and add some they do want that require root.

If they have no interest in doing either, then they'll probably forget all about doing it.

Upvote 0
Reactions: DMAC23
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones