1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

what is rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by irieone, May 15, 2011.

1. irieone

irieone Member

I just got my LG op s and I'm reading stuff here and there. I'm really lost on this rooting thing. I have 2.2.2 and want to know what rooting my phone does and how to do it. I don't have a comp right now and do everything right from my phone. So is there a way to do it over the phone without useing a comp. I want to do everything to my phone tat can be done :). Please help me out a little. Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

There’s a zillion threads on this and other forums that will explain rooting in great detail, just click Search. But my opinion is if you don’t know what it is, you don’t need it, and if you don’t need it, you don’t want it. At least that’s why I, a curious cat, have avoided the inclination to try it.

3. dizzle16

dizzle16 Android Enthusiast

Rooting is a process that gives you administrative privlages to the phone. It allows you to customize your phone in a lot of ways. Just Google "root my phone" to get an idea. Or "rooted LG optimus s" to see this specific phone. I got my optimus s 3 mos ago and felt it was a great phone but there were things I wanted to improve. Through rootoing and the custom ROM I'm running I now have tons of internalized memory, way longer battery life, an improved keyboard and my Android Version reads 2.3.3. It wasn't easy and most of the work wasn't done by me, I had big help. There's a piston here you can read put together by some good people you should read too

4. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Newbie

"root" is the superuser (with administrator privileges) on most Unix/Linux operating systems.

The Android operating system is based on the Linux kernal, hence the term "rooting" means to gain root access to the system. Once you have root access you can do just anything you like with the system, provided you have the knowledge.

LG Optimus One Forum

The LG Optimus One release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 3MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews